Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thought I Would Share

pennick

Cavy Slave
I went out to eat last weekend to a chinese restaurant. My daughter ordered crabs in black bean sauce. Well I haven't had that for some time. When they placed the dish down on my table I had to get up and run into the ladies room. I almost threw up. For those of you who know what black beans look like you know what I am talking about. For those of you who dont, they look just like your piggy's beans (excretments). As far as I am concerned you cant tell them apart. How disgusting and revolting that was. I can never now eat anything with black beans again. I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THAT WITH YOU.

Just so you know, chinese black beans are made out of soybeans which are fermented in salt which preserves them, which also turns them black. And FYI, tofu is also made of soy beans. Edamame, a favorite Japanese delicacy, are fresh soybeans. Point I'm making is, there is nothing wrong with soybeans. I understand it reminded you of your guinea pig beans, but they are completely different things. And coming from an Asian culture, I do take some offense.

Sorry if I offended you. Didnt think that story would offend anyone. I know they are completely different things. I think there are more important issues in this world to be offended about and you shouldnt get all worked up about black beans. Anyway maybe I meant mexican black beans. Lighten up.

Regardless of their resemblance to Piggie poops, my hubby dislikes black beans (Mexican or Asian). I hardly think that's reason for any Mexicans or Asians to take offense. He doesn't like tomatos eaither but I don't recall any Italians knocking down our door to rake him over the coals for the insult to their culture. As for me, in my opinion anything wrapped in seaweed is not fit to eat and all meats should be cooked but that's just me. Anyone else is free to eat what they want.

LOL. That was too funny. I can just imagine it. So did you send the dish back?

I think it's narrow-minded for someone says something is revolting or disgusting, when they don't even try it. That's my opinion.

Once upon a time people thought tomatos were poisonous because they were so red. They didn't even know they were edible. Look, I don't mean super-sensitized everyone's comments. I'm just tired of hearing people say "EW, that looks so disgusting, I can't eat it" and they make fun of it and don't even try it. I enjoy trying new things - if I don't like it, then I say I don't like it. That's the way I am.

She is just telling a story. A funny one. If you saw something that looked like your pets fecal matter. Would you just eat it or would you say something. I'm pretty sure I would say something.

In Pennicks defence,,she has had it before,,but it has been along time,,that's what I gathered from her story. Cute story. I remember when they had that green and purple ketchup out. I tasted it..it still tasted like ketchup,,but I just couldnt bring myself to eat it..because of the color.

Pennick, I'm sure you can tell the difference: they HAVE to taste different. Lol. And also, Dumpling, Pennick is right, you should lighten up a bit more. I come from a Scottish background, but I'm not going to be offended when someone says "Ew, Haggis!" That's just the way some people are. I myself am a little bit sketchy on eating new things, because I've had some really gross experiences(my friend surprised me with pig intestines at a local restaurant, and if you didn't know, it was an Asian restaurant. I did not find this praticularly appetizing.) It should be their choice on whether or not they want to eat something(even if it does look like feces), and you really shouldn't get all hot and bothered because they don't feel like eating this. And also, if you hadn't noticed, Pennick said she had tried it before.

The Dumpling said:
Just so you know, chinese black beans are made out of soybeans which are fermented in salt which preserves them, which also turns them black. And FYI, tofu is also made of soy beans. Edamame, a favorite Japanese delicacy, are fresh soybeans. Point I'm making is, there is nothing wrong with soybeans. I understand it reminded you of your guinea pig beans, but they are completely different things. And coming from an Asian culture, I do take some offense.
When you said, "There is nothing wrong with soybeans." Just because there is nothing wrong with soybeans, dosen't mean everyone is going to eat them. I do think you need to lighten up a bit. Not everyone and everything is going to please you.

I'm sorry I started this whole thing. Just to clear the air. That dish is one of my favorites, not something new. I am sure I will be ordering it in the near future. A few beans will not keep me away -). I may have embellished my story a little just to make a funny point. So Dumpling, you can smile again because Crabs in black bean sauce is here to stay. -)

Thanks for the olive branch Pennick. =) And I'm sorry I jumped all over your comments. It was a very long day for me yesterday and I let it out in the wrong place. As side projects I do a lot of volunteer work with Asian cultural organizations since I've moved here, and I'm sure I've become more sensitive about these things than I use to.

I personally like black beans, even though they may resemble piggie poops. Thanks for the insight, I never thought of that before!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.