Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Need Some Ideas For a Quick Cage

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I adopted two more girls two days ago. They came with their "cage". My plan was to use this cage until the quarentine period was up. Yes, it is a petstore cage. But it is the tiniest petstore cage I have ever seen(I didn't realize that it was quite this tiny from the pictures), and I just can't condemn them to it any longer. If one of the girls stretches out, she can touch the front wall with her nose, and the back wall with her back paws. *shudder*
I don't have any spare grids at the moment, and for the past two days I've been searching my house for something to use to make them an alternative C&C type, but just can't seem to find anything.
Does anyone have any ideas? Just something that would work temporarily until I can get some more grids and coroplast?

PS!!! The pigture I've attatched is the picture I was shown before adopting them. The cage is even tinier that it looks!

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I've just had a thought...... I have a shelf in my laundry room that needs to come down, since the brackets holding it to the wall are broken. It is one of those white wire shelves that I think I have seen a few Alternatives made from.
Maybe I could use that shelf, and take apart the petstore cage (like into panels, if that makes any sense). Then, I could use zip ties, which I always keep on hand, to attatch them together. Cardboard and newspaper would make a temporary bottom.
Wouldn't look very pretty, but would do the trick.
What do you guys think?

jamie15701

Cavy Slave
It might work.

Those poor girls, why would their previous owner have them in such a tiny cage. Glad you are trying to improve their home and make it more spacious.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Those poor girls, why would their previous owner have them in such a tiny cage. Glad you are trying to improve their home and make it more spacious.
Sadly, it wasn't that she didn't care. She just didn't know! I think that's almost worse that not caring. Other than the cage, the girls were well cared for and loved.

I think that is is going to work!! I got the shelf down, and have it soaking in the tub(it was filthy!) I'm going to soak it for awhile, then scrub it.
LOL, this is going to win the prize for ugliest cage!!!:crazy:

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Quickie Cage All Done!

I've finished my quickie cage for the new girls!
I ended up using the cleaned peice of metal shelving, and the panels from that horrid petstore cage. I got such a nice feeling tearing it up! LOL
The new cage isn't permanent, nor as big as I would really like it. But it is approx. 2 1/2 times the size of the crappy petstore cage. I'm actually pretty proud of myself, considering that this idea just came to me this morning.:)
The girls didn't know what to do when they got into it. First, they just stood stock still. Then, they decided it would be fun to run back and forth across it.
Here is a pic of the new cage. I hadn't added any toys to it yet, or hay, so it looks a bit plain. The pic of the old one is in my last thread.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your threads were merged together as they are on the same subject. Please keep relevent threads together. Thanks.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: Quickie Cage All Done!

I've finished my quickie cage for the new girls!
I ended up using the cleaned peice of metal shelving, and the panels from that horrid petstore cage. I got such a nice feeling tearing it up! LOL
The new cage isn't permanent, nor as big as I would really like it. But it is approx. 2 1/2 times the size of the crappy petstore cage. I'm actually pretty proud of myself, considering that this idea just came to me this morning.:)
The girls didn't know what to do when they got into it. First, they just stood stock still. Then, they decided it would be fun to run back and forth across it.
Here is a pic of the new cage. I hadn't added any toys to it yet, or hay, so it looks a bit plain. The pic of the old one is in my last thread.

Wow.. you're really fast!! I can't wait to see how their permanent will look like. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Nice job. They probably feel better now that they can stretch a little more.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Your threads were merged together as they are on the same subject. Please keep relevent threads together. Thanks.
whoops! Sorry about that!:sad:

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Not bad at all for a frankencage! ;) Really, from the picture it kind of looks like it's supposed to be that way. I'm sure the pigs are much, much happier now!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.