Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Please I need help providing my Guinea with comfortable space

ken211989

Cavy Slave
Hey, I have come across a pretty big problem. A friend of mine had about six guineas and gave one to me thinking that it was a boy. I did some research after looking at her and found that my porkchop was a girl (her name is porkchop). She was being housed in the same cage as a few males so when he gave her to me, she was already pregnant. She is going to have her babies very very soon and I have more than enough food and hay to supply the new guineas. I even have people worthy enough of taking care of some of her children. My problem is, her cage is extremley small; I use a 90 quart plastic storage bin from walmart (i dont know the dimensions but if you go to walmart.com and look it up you will find it). She is nearing the end of her pregnancy and I am starting to panic because I have absoloutley no money to increase her cage or switch to a C&C cage. I did research and found providers of all the materials needed to build the C&C cage and they are all significantly close to my home. I wanted to build at least a 2x3 C&C cage for her so that I could at least keep one of her daughters so that she has some company when I am not home and so that she has more space to at least run some laps. I currently let her out of her cage whenever I am home and she gets at least 3.5 hours at the least. She is usually out longer. But she needs more space ASAP and I do not have the finances to cover it. I also dont intend to give her to a rescue center, I cant let her go especially now that she is pregnant.I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out maybe if anyone has some spare parts left over from their C&C cages that could be mailed to me. I am working on posting a current picture of her cage.

Thank you very much, any help is appritated both by me, by Porkchop, and her children.

The picture of her current cage is now in my gallery.

Do you have enough money to order a larger one online? A 2x3 would be better, but if you are planning on keeping the babies, you need something a lot bigger, especially if one or more of the babies are males.

I could mail you some grids....... If you aren't too far away though. Where are you located?

Try looking on Craigslist. Sometimes people give away free closet shelves. You can use those if you can't find grids.

C&C cages is right in East Hampton, CT. I also live in CT and drove out there Friday and picked up a 2x4 cage. It was really easy. She also sells just the grids or coroplast if you want.

I live in Manchester and there is a place in East Hartford that sells 4x8 sheets of coroplast for $11 a sheet. There are many easy options. I placed an ad on freecycle at one point and was given enough grids and connectors to make a 2x3 cage and I just had to buy the coroplast. I still have that 2x3 cage but need it because my new female may be pregnant also. Not sure yet. Where are you located?

I'm also in CT and if you're anywhere near Hamden, Century Signs also has Coroplast and they were very nice. He cut it for me and it was $25

Also before I got coroplast I used a roll of scrap linoleum that I got at Home Depot for about $5. Some people also use a shower curtain with fleece and towels over it. Grids are pretty easy to come by and rather inexpensive, or you could use old wire shelving.

Here's a stretch but it might work. You could cut her current cage into 5 parts, all 4 sides and the bottom. Zip tie them together nice and tight and then place a shower curtain, plastic tablecloth or something like that under it. Then layer it with some old towels or fleece. You can buy zip ties cheap at the dollar store or home depot. It's a bit of a stretch but it might work. You could also look for an old kiddie pool on craigslist or even at like walmart and use that. Good Luck, keep us posted!

Before we built our cage, we took the wire pieces from our old pet store cages (2 of them) and used those pieces to make a bigger enclosure.

I completely understand the money situation! I've totally been there. I do know that Staples has a set of 10 grids for $13.77 (that's tax included) and if you order them offline and have them shipped to the store, they do not charge shipping. You can always find something cheap to put on the bottom, but at least you'd have the grids!

She would likely be in better hands with a rescue, where she will get proper care, housing and vet care if she or the babies need it - esp. if you cannot provide that.

A box of grids is not that much. Often people are giving them away on freecycle or in the classifieds. You can use something else underneath in the meantime. A storage container is not a suitable cage.

Skeetersmom and Fieryone, I completely understand what you are saying but the main problem is, I do not have any money. I walk a very great distance to college as it is just because I cant even afford the money to catch the bus. that being said I am in class pretty much the whole day and I dont even eat lunch. Any money that I get is going towards my porkchop. I was able to bring up enough money to buy food and hay to last her a very long time. Now money has gotten ALOT tighter and I cant even really suppourt myself. I am glad that I was smart enough to buy her enough food to last her and even her kids, a very long time. But now I have a new problem and as much as I would rather handle problems without bothering anyone for help, this situation really calls for it because now there is a time limit. I need to get her a bigger cage before those kids come....

To answer your questions, I live in New Haven, Connecticut Zipcode is 06511. If anyone wants my address or my phone number just send me a private message.

I have learned alot from all the advice pointing me towards staples and home depot and all of these places. Once again I do thank you but even though I am near all of these places, I still cant afford these realativley cheap items and that is truly the frustrating part. I see people on these forums who cant get the items cause no one near them provides it. Well at least they have the money for it where on the other hand, my problem is the inverse of that. Thank you guys so much for replying to this and I will keep you posted. If she has the babies before she gets the expansion it is going to be very bad. I will also post the pictures of her babies. I am excited but at the same time very worried and stressed.

Do you have a freecycle group in your area? It is a yahoo group. So just go there and do a search, then put an ISO (In Search Of) ad for the supplies. Im sure someone has a kiddie pool or something.

Wish I was closer, there isnt much I can do here for you.

I am searching the freecycle group in my area right now 4piggers. Thank you for your advice.

Maybe ask some of your close friends for some money to help pitch in on taking care of Porkchop. I hope she is okay and well, if i could i would mail you my money i have saved for something right now! I want to make sure you and her make it through!!! Hope i helped!

I am glad that I was smart enough to buy her enough food to last her and even her kids, a very long time.

Are you giving her any fresh veggies? I'm sorry you're in this situation. Have you considered rehoming her? It might be hard at first, but she may be getting better care. And as rabbitsncavyluv mentioned, she or her babies may need vet care.

I guess it has some sort of time period that I spend waiting to get accepted before i can check out the offers

I am really worried about her-- if you honestly have "no money", are you giving her a good quality pellet? Good quality grass hay? fresh veggies daily? I know in the past month I've spent quite a lot of money on my 4!

My mom brings home fresh veggies and I ask for some and she gives me some. Secretly she thinks I am eating them but they are for porkchop. And her hay and food are already taken care of. There are no problems there. The only problem is the cage. I already know people that are ready to take care of her children. She gets Fresh Veggies although she really does not like carrots, Oranges, Apples, and radish that much, she pretty much inhales lettuce and cabbage. Don't worry people, she gets treated like a queen other than her very small castle.

P.S. my mother refuses to help me with any purchases I need to make. I have had to support myself since i turned 15. I get a roof over my head, showers, food and a place to sleep, but everything else is pretty much left up to me. Otherwise i would've asked my mom to just lend me some money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.