Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Trouble with fleece

coolcavies

Cavy Slave
I've been using Vetbed for four days, and it's been brilliant. Not a smell, and it keeps the pigs completely dry. I only bought one piece of vetbed, and some fleece for when it needs changing.
This morning I did the first complete change - replaced the newspaper and towel and put the fleece in. It was alright this morning, but I went to spot clean the cage a few minutes ago and the surface is really damp, and so are the pigs' bellies; and it smells of pee. Did I get the wrong kind of fleece or something? It just doesn't seem to be letting the liquid soak through to the towel below. The vetbed's been through the wash now anyway, so I can change it again, but I'm going to have to buy some more vetbed tomorrow. The fleece I got was from Wilkinsons, being sold as 'pet fleece' for cats. It just seems like ordinary fleece...?

Is there any way you can take a picture of it and show us what your talking about. I have tried different types and thicknesses of fleece and some are much better at absorbing than others. What I use are fleece blankets or medium to heavy weight fleece I buy at Wal-Mart. I have found the thinner the fleece the worse it gets as far as absorbing.

On the subject of vetbed, where do you purchase this in the U.S.?

Is there any way you can take a picture of it and show us what your talking about. I have tried different types and thicknesses of fleece and some are much better at absorbing than others. What I use are fleece blankets or medium to heavy weight fleece I buy at Wal-Mart. I have found the thinner the fleece the worse it gets as far as absorbing.[
I'll take a picture later if I can remember. It's not that thick, but thicker than some fleece I've seen.

On the subject of vetbed, where do you purchase this in the U.S.?
Here in the UK most pet stores have it. Try looking around near the dog and cat beds - that's where I usually find it here.

You may need to put something a little more abosbing under the fleece, maybe towels or something.

I had newspaper on the bottom, then a layer of towels and then the fleece.

Put the fleece through the wash. I did that and it was much more absorbant.

Dont the piggies just poo and wee all over it?
i use vet bed for my rabbits but they are litter trained

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.