Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage 12inch sides on a coroplast cage??

sunshine
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Hmm, I like the idea. It would be good for those who can't/don't want to use grids, such as the members who live overseas and can't find the right sizes.

I imagine the ventilation is OK, maybe if there were some holes drilled all the way around it would be better?

It looks like a good idea to me though, and a much better alternative than pet store cages, like the way-way-too small one they have pictured on the same page. The only thing that would concern me is there's no "skeleton support" from cubes, so I wouldn't want to put this cage up high on a table like my current C&C.

sunshine
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This would be ok with thicker coroplast and not the thinner stuff if no grids were used.

I have 10" sides on my C&C because my girls love to throw the hay out of the cage. They get plenty of ventilation and I have tiny cut outs where the water bottle spouts go.

s_anthony

Cavy Slave
I run a rescue and I've made "temporary" cages out of nothing but coroplast. I recently posted pictures on another thread here in cages. I can unclip the sides and roll the coroplast up and store the cage or take it out and spray it down to wash it.

s_anthony

Cavy Slave
Hehe.. over on the next page in the forums was a link to my post:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/42577-coroplast-only-cage-temporary-housing.html

The only downside to this kind of set up is that the sides bow outwards. I was thinking of making two holes and setting grommets into the coroplast and making and tying the two together to hold the sides up.

Everything is removable. I used binder clips for the sides of the cage as well as the temporary hay rack and to hold the food hopper to the wire grid.

s_anthony

Cavy Slave
this spca site (broken link removed)

gives instructions to make a coroplast cage using no shelf grids but the sides on it are 12inches high all around.. has anyone made one of these or would it not be good for ventilation to have sides that are so high?? thanks

My design is different than this one. I cut the coroplast to where it all folds together like an origami box. That one I would assume would get leaks in corners..

Once you make the 4 cuts and score the other areas so it folds easier, just use 4 medium to large sized binder clips to hold it together. You can take them off and lay it out flat to wipe it out if you need to or take it outside to wash it.

12inch sides on a coroplast cage??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.