Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to board; thinking of fleece

3cavygirl

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I am the new owner of 3 cavies! (boars) I have found this board very helpful and made my pigs a 2 x 5 coroplast and cube cage. They love it! I will have to build another one as one of the boars isn't getting along well with one of the other ones. He is in a store bought cage right now. They get along during floor time without any fighting, so he gets to be with the other two then.

I am thinking of using fleece as bedding. I have read all of the posts about fleece, and have decided to layer newspaper, crib padding, and then fleece. Any suggestions? Should I put litter pans in each of the corners? Also, one of my piggies tries to chew on our sofa material when he is out during lap time. Will he chew up the fleece?

My kids love having the piggies! They are our first pets besides fish. I never knew how fun they could be, especially when they run around the room, chasing each other and popcorning during floortime! We laughed so hard the first time they did that, it was so cute and funny! They are such sweet animals.

Thanks for any help!

I haven't had my piggies try and chew on the fleece. Though they chew everthing else from my carpet to the recliners. But they don't touch there fleece.. usually from what I have read that if you put down enough other things they can chew on they will tend to use those and not your furniture.
I have a few pictures in my gallory if you would like to check them out.
anymore questions let me know :)

Hi Trixie,

I saw your slide show-you have beautiful children and cute piggies! It is good to know the pigs will not chew the fleece if I have other things for them to chew. Right now I have two of those log houses for them to chew on. I am going to buy the fleece when my aspen runs out. When I picture fleece, I picture the white kind of bumpy material-but yours seems like a blanket. Is it labled fleece in the stores?
Thanks
Melissa

Look for fleece blankets or go to the fabric section and find fleece on the bolt. If you don't know exactly what to look for just find someone in the fabric or bedding departments and ask them for help. I use fleece and I really love it and so do my 4 sows.

Fleece is very easy to find just like Chatty said. Its very soft and warm and easy to keep clean. It is thicker then Flannel so if you look for something thicker and softer, you have probably found it. Most fleece is used for lining in coats and lap blankets.

I have 4 sets of fleece. My daughter picked out my little pony, some bright striped color and now a disney princess theme. From walmart the price ranged from 4.44 to 7.86 a yard from the craft section.

Over the weekend my son and I went to Wal-mart to buy the fleece. We found it just fine, there was a huge "flleece" sign hung over all of the bolts. 2 yards made 2 coverings for a 2x5 cage.

I also bought crib padding. I bought two as they were only 27x52, too small for a 2x5. I had to use one and then cut another one to fit the rest of the cage. The crib pads are waterproof. On the package it says something to the effect "treated to prevent growth of bacteria" (I am at school and do not have the package with me, but it says something like that). Is this okay? Are waterproof pads necessary? And can something else be used instead?

Anyone tried fleece with just newspaper underneath? 2 layers of fleece and newspaper?

3cavygirl said:
I also bought crib padding. I bought two as they were only 27x52, too small for a 2x5. I had to use one and then cut another one to fit the rest of the cage. The crib pads are waterproof. On the package it says something to the effect "treated to prevent growth of bacteria" (I am at school and do not have the package with me, but it says something like that). Is this okay? Are waterproof pads necessary? And can something else be used instead?
Waterproof maynot work that well because the fleece will wick the water away and it will be just a pool on the waterproof stuff. I use cotton batting, the stuff in comforters they sell it at Wal-mart, and towels.

I just spot cleaned their cage; you're right about the waterproof pads, it feels wet where they went pee. Do you use fleece, then cotton batting, then towels? Any newspaper?

i dont use news paper because they cost alot and neither my mom or I read them. I have newspaper in my quarintine cage but just to help protect the cardboard. I dont have a piggy in that cage yet.
I use fleece cotton batting towels, yes

I use Fleece with the cotton batting and a thick layer of newspaper. I get my papers for free. I grab a big stack of the local dandy dime which is a free paper that goes out once a week. So no cost to me. You can check with your local newspaper company and see what it would cost you for a stack of "yesterdays news" sometimes its free or at a really low cost.

Another thing you only want to use ONE layer of fleece 2 layers keeps the wettness from soaking threw to the paper or towels, and will smell after a very short time.

I think I am going to look for the cotton batting or plain crib pads. What is the vet material some people are talking about? I won't use 2 layers of fleece, that doesn't sound too good for the pigs. I may try newspaper and fleece only for awhile, and change the newspaper everyday. My school gets the NEw York Times for free! So no cost there, but thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.