Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Stand out of grids and 2-level cage?

Bibliophile

Cavy Slave
We want to build a 2-level split cage. The 2 girls will be on the bottom, in a 2x5 (2x4 main area with a 2x1 kitchen area). The boy will be on the top - we're thinking in a 2x3 with a 1x2 kitchen area. We need the cages separate, but we need them to stack on top of each other - not enough room to do them side-by-side.

I've been looking through pictures here and the forums, getting ideas for how to build it. We're thinking a couple wooden dowel rods to support the second level. Any other suggestions?

I also want to make a stand out of cubes. The table we have now is too high for a 2-level cage - I wouldn't be able to reach all of the top level. Is there a sturdiness issue with the cube base, if there are 2 levels on top of it? How do you make the cube base?

You could also use a piece of pvc pipe. Have it cut to 14" and cut a x in the end and place it in the center of the cage. The x would be on one of the upper cubes. You could remove it for changing fleece. Hope this helps.

Hello! I currently have a two level cage with a cubes base. I am using wooden stakes to help keep the top level sturdy, and I have found that using cubes for a base is actually sturdier than a table. With mine, grids surround the perimeter, with a couple extra grids in the middle and coming in from the sides here and there for extra support. Girds also work better if you have an oddly shaped cage, like mine. Best of luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.