Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Trying to make sure that my shelter pig Lilly is not pregnant

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Hello everybody! I adopted Lilly from my local humane society/county animal shelter. They said that she came from a surprise/unexpected litter. For that reason, I am trying to be on the lookout for signs of pregnancy, and I want to make sure that she is not pregnant.
I do not think she is, but I need to make sure and keep an eye out on her, of course.

I thought there might be a chance that she could be preggo, because she came from an unexpected litter, probably from some ignoramous people who didn't sex them right or seperate the babies at the right time. I mean, I don't exactly know how easy it is for a pretty young juvenile cavy to get knocked up, but still...

Oh, and now she is 3 months 1 week old, when I adopted her she was 3 months old, and she just came into the shelter several days before I adopted her, so she was 3 months when she arrived there too.

I was also thinking that she could have just become preggo right before coming to the shelter. I just go by the old saying "better to be safe than sorry". I don't mean to sound paranoid...

Guinea Lynx says that sows can become sexually mature at 4-6 weeks, which would be at least a month old, and males can become sexually mature at 3-5 weeks, which is about 1 month. So, the difference between the sexual maturity date for sows and Lilly's age is about 2 months, or 8 weeks, or 9 or 10 weeks.
But we also need to remember that she was there at her original home before she was sexually mature...

Thanks in advance!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
The scary thing is, you never know! Hopefully shes' not, but if so, congrats! They usually start showing around 6 weeks, and pregnancy last from 59-72 days. Old much does she weigh? I read somewhere that they should be at least over a pound before they should get prego (which they shouldn't!). I guess the only thing you can do at the moment is wait and keep taking good care of her. It's basically the best you can do right about now. Take her to the vet, they can do ulta sounds and tell you for sure. Good luck!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's possible she is, depending on whether or not they separated her at the right time in her first home, like you said. I think you should start to see her "showing" at about 4-6 weeks into pregnancy, possibly more. If she's gaining wait rapidly, that will be a sure fire sign too. You might take her in to the vet to see what s/he thinks. I wouldn't do an ultrasound just yet, because it will become fairly apparent if she IS pregnant in good time. And if she is you'll probably want to save the money you'd spend on the ultrasound for the care of her and her little ones. Fingers crossed she's not pregnant!

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If she's gaining wait rapidly, that will be a sure fire sign too.
Holy cow, I just reread this and realized my mistake. I should have said, "if she's gaining weight ..." Man. I shouldn't let myself get in too much of a hurry. Sorry!

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
That's okay, I didn't even realize that until now either. ;)

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
I read through your first post and didn't realize anything until your second post.

All you have to do to see if she is pregnant is just keep weighing her everyday. Like said in previous posts, if she gains weight rapidly, then shes probably pregnant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.