Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What do you keep your pellets in?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Hello -

What do you use to hold your pellets? I have been using a "tip-proof" bowl, which Alton still tips. Once tipped, the pigs make a major mess of the pellets by grinding them down into the bedding and of course peeing on them. This cannot be sanitary I thought. So I went to look for a bowl that would connect right to the cage, but it was hard to tell from the pictures if it would work on a C&C cage. And I saw hoppers, but then I also read in one of the books we purchased not to feed too many pellets a day or your pig will get fat. Ugh.

So what do you use?
:)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I use a double sided cat food dish that has a rubber rim on the bottom. My pigs cannot tip it over.

In pigs over 6 months of age, it's better to only give 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets per pig per day as pellets are the least part of the diet. Under 6 months, they can have unlimited pellets.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I use heavy ceramic bowls. They have never tipped them, but then they are too lazy to stand up on the edge! Mostly they lie down with their dewlap resting on the edge and eat.

I did have some plastic bowls that I used for awhile that clipped straight onto the grids, they couldn't tip them either.

Somanypets

Cavy Slave
I use ceramic bowls too. Two pigs can belly up with paws on the rim at the same time with out it tipping.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I use a double cat dish also, from Walmart. It's low enough to the ground they cannot tip it, and it was only like 2 dollars! I also got bowls from Petsmart in the Ferret section for 1.99. (broken link removed)
They also cannot tip these, they are low to the ground as well, and they can put their paws up on one side and it distributes the weight evenly because of it's shape.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
With the cat dishes being low, any problems with your pigs using them as toilets?

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I use a pot saucer, you know, for planting? I have a picture of one in my gallery (it's in a picture I took of their "kitchen"). It's ceramic, large, heavy, and glazed. My pigs don't chew on it and it's tip-proof. My pigs don't go to the bathroom into either. It was cheap too! On sale, $1.88 and not on sale, $3. I got it from wal-mart in the gardening/planting section. They come in many colors and 2 different sizes (at least at the wal-marts I have been to).

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
None of my pigs go to the toilet in their foodbowls - Ella sometimes sits in it and then eats out of the hayrack, and so goes to the toilet but that is very rare.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
A huge, 12-inch tip-proof dog bowl.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Hmmm...maybe my pigs are trying to tell me they don't like their pellets. They pee on them all the time. Both of them!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I also have a heavy ceramic small cereal bowl and they've never tipped it over. However mine have started recently peeing in the pellets every so often, too. They've never done this before! I've always found the occasional little turd in the bowl, but never pee. The bowl is in the same place it's always been and they're still getting the same Oxbow pellets that they've always liked.. *shrug*

Adorable

Cavy Slave
I have a shallow, ceramic cat bowl that's never been tipped but the few times it's been peed or pooped in, I realized it was closer to the corner than I intended.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I find the occasional poo in their dish that they've kicked in but they don't use it as a toilet.

MissPriss16

Cavy Slave
I'm using a ceramic bowl, so far Lucy hasn't tipped it over, but I believe when she grows into an adult there's a big possibility she might :)
My last 4 pigs did and I had to buy a small non-spill puppy bowl.

Barb1222

Cavy Slave
I use soap dishes, ash trays, a small cat food dish, and other small ceramic dishes I have found at thrift stores. I put a couple in each cage (I have a boys cage & a girls cage). They poop in them on occassion, but have never tipped them over.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I find a couple little poops in there usually, but I just scoop them out with the rest of the poop in the cage daily. I think they just kick it in there when they burst into a fit of joy and run around the cage as fast as they can.

cavychuck

Cavy Slave
I use a rabbit gravity feeder(broken link removed) works great holds alot of food. Dont have to put any in there but like once every 2 weeks. and they can't poo or pee in there.

Piggy1928

Cavy Slave
I use this: PETCO Twist & Lock Crock for Small Animals at PETCO

I have seen it on other sites other than Petco, but I don't remember where. Maybe Drs. Foster and Smith.

Those are the best in my eyes. I just cut a small hole in the fleece and the chloroplast and the two clamp pieces, one goes on the outside and the other goes on the inside touching the fleece. I love these bowls because my guys used to tip the old ones all the time.

s_anthony

Cavy Slave
I use a rabbit gravity feeder(broken link removed) works great holds alot of food. Dont have to put any in there but like once every 2 weeks. and they can't poo or pee in there.

I use the same in my rescue - but I constantly weigh my piggies too so they don't overfeed. I don't give unlimited amounts in them either - but the hoppers do seem to keep them from peeing and pooing in the food now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.