Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramp Help

rosebella

Cavy Slave
I just built my GP a new cage with a second floor loft and ramp but she will not go up or down it. She totally refuses to go down if I put her on top and will never go up it on her own. I have tried putting her on it and she just sits there. I have also tried walking her up and down with special treats but she still wont budge. Any ideas of how to train her to not be afraid?

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Not all piggies will use ramps. How steep is it? Does it have "railings" so she knows she won't fall off it?

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
It could be she is just slightly stressed from the new addition to her cage or that the ramp, like gooberific said, is too steep for her. Give her a day or so to get use to the change. Also what you could try is move her food and water up there to try and coax her up. But if none of that works you might just have to do without a loft section.

ZiggyMama

Cavy Slave
I had asked that same question last week. My baby boy learned very quickly how to use the ramp. My older boy would stiffen up when I would try to get him up or down. The all of a sudden yesterday I found him in the kitchen (the top floor). I think after a few days of it he realized he could do it and it was safe. It was about 4 days before he figured it out.

Omnimous

Cavy Slave
I experienced the same, for the most part. My younger boar runs up the ramp to the second floor all the time to get to another hidey and the different type of hay up there, but my older boar couldn't be bothered, and it's been a couple of weeks now.

On the other hand, my older boar isn't much of a runner/mover, even during floor time (cage is 2x5, top floor is 1x3, so there's plenty of room to move about).

rosebella

Cavy Slave
Thank you to all who replied it was very helpful. My ramp is pretty steep but there is really no way to change that because of the size of the cage (3x2) but I am going to try to add railings and maybe something different like carpet for the floor because I think she slips which is making her afraid. I tried moving her food but this didnot help and I got worried she was hungery. She is older and I think if she had the example of a younger more adventure driven friend she would do better (not to mention she is so stuborn!)

BellasMommy21

Cavy Slave
I agree about the floor of the ramp- mine is lined in fleece and we are thinking of using a towel instead because the older one will run down if we put her up there but she still slides and my little one, who is normally the brave one, wants nothing to do with it!

RoseBella- I have to laugh, my "original" pigs name is Bella and we just adopted her a friend and her name (from the shelter) is Rosemary. I guess that makes me a RoseBella too!! Haha- not to steal your name!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.