Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How can we get Gumdrop to eat his veggies?

L

LisaGlitterz4MC

How can we get Gumdrop to eat his veggies?

You may remember our posts about our piggie Sunflower (a.k.a. Sunny). Well, we also now have a piggie named Gumdrop (a.k.a. Gummy)! Sunny eats all his vegetables and begs for more several times per day, but Gummy won't touch anything besides his pellets and hay and a bit of parsley or carrots. We have tried mustard greens and kale so far, but he doesn't seem to have any interest in them. Any tips on how to get our boy to eat his veggies?

Also, Sunny LOVES his vegetables and we are wondering if it is OK to feed more than 2 cups per day? Some people seem to think that unlimited amounts are fine, and others say 1 to 2 cups. He squeaks for his veggies several times a day, but we're afraid to overdo it! What is your advice?

Thanks!
- Lisa & Kelley

veggies

i am having the same problem! my younger pig riley eats everything but theo wont eat his veggies/fruits...

Re: How can we get Gumdrop to eat his veggies?

How new is Gumdrop to your herd? Where did you get him from? Whenever I get a new guinea pig it seems to take a while for some to get used to the veggies. If you got him from a pet store or a shelter Gumdrop may not be used to veggies.

Variety is the key when it comes to veggies. Give it time - he should come around. Make sure you are feeding a pellet that is stable with vitamin C so Gumdrop gets it into his body somehow.

The recommended feeding for veggies is 1-2 cups a day. As long as you aren't feeding him huge amount a veggies he'll be fine. If you notice any diarrhea or loose stools you will want to cut back.

If he wants veggies throughout the day try giving him smaller amount more often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.