Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

baby piglet not eating

graycurse

Cavy Slave
I have an orphaned, less-than-a-week old piglet in my care and I can't seem to get him to eat or drink anything. I've given him water bowls, water bottles, cups of lettuce, chopped carrots, whole carrots, pellets, oranges, smashed bananas, syringe of supplement, he just won't take anything. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

PS- he won't eat timothy or alfalfa hay either

graycurse

Cavy Slave
I've read that and tried all those tips, still no success; however, for the past 20 minutes, he's been sniffing out the spout on the water bottle and testing it. That seems to be a good first step. He's in a 3x4 with one of my older female piglets to keep him company, since he's definitely not sexually mature yet. They're getting along very well, fortunately.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Maybe he's just making strange? Poor little guy! How long has he been doing this?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, maybe it's not all bad, he could be a little freak out, coming into the world, no mama and not knowing what to do. It's all new to him and he's probably freaked?

clotho

Cavy Slave
Do you have critical care for him? Sometimes adding a little plain, canned pumpkin to the critical care (or pellet mash if you don't have CC) will help encourage a piggie to eat it. You could also try putting a little in the cage for him and see if he will eat it on his own.

Hopefully watching the other, older piggies will help him - but he needs to eat. Are you weighing him at least daily? You need to know if he's losing weight. Sometimes piggies will eat critical care from a spoon or lick it off your finger if they refuse the syringe. If he's definitely not eating and he's losing weight, he will have to be forcefed - you may need to get him to a vet to get help if you can't get any food into him.

You can also try tempting him with different veggies and see what he might like. If you can get your hands on some fresh wheatgrass (you can buy it at some health food stores or online but it's expensive) you might be able to tempt him into eating that to start with. Fresh grass smells great and I"ve yet to see a piggie who has refused it.

I also suggest posting on Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig to get extra advice - they are great on there! Good luck and please keep us posted.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: Giving Medications

Try these too. Its for giving medications to a piggy who doesn't like them. I usually follow these directions with the exception of putting the piggy facing me on my lap unless he is really squirmy. Try this with water or pellet mash . Be tough. Its good for him and he needs food.

I hope he's doing ok. Good luck.:love:

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.