Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone!

klp065

Cavy Slave
Hi. I am fairly new to the wonderful world of cavies. I am always doing research and I found that this forum is very helpful, so thank you very much for all of your cavy wisdom that you share.

I have 2 girl piggies...Maybelle and Dahlia.

Maybelle is a short-haired brown and white cavy. She is very "prissy" and loves being pampered...she even loves getting her "nails done" (trimmed)!!! When I am cuddling with her she even stretches out so I can rub her belly (like a little dog!) I adopted her when she was 2 months old in July of 2008. So she is about 8 months old now.

Dahlia is a black and white long-haired pig. I adopted her so Maybelle would have a friend. She's very shy, but is always poking her head out of the cage to see what I am up to. She is not the girly-girl that Maybelle is. She is about nine months old now.

I recently got a C&C cage and I love it! I've been trying out different bedding to see what works best for the pigs and me. The pine bedding was too messy...so I just started the fleece bedding yesterday! I was so proud of my creation and then I wake up this morning to only find a pig-stye. (They like to rearrange the cage on their own) Oh the little darlings...

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on the C&C cage! And welcome to the forum. :)

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
Hello & welcome to the forum!

Since you love researching info, I know that you have enjoyed this forum's insight as much as I. This is really a great forum.

One of my baby dubbed "diva" is prissy, just like yours. She loves her nails trimmed too & loved being groomed. She is my blue-eyed white abby... my hubby love that pig to pieces as every time he calls for all the GPs. she'll be there looking up at him in greeting... that one just loooves attention!

I love fleece as beddings and have gotten mine at Walmart for a 40"X70" roll for only $3.99. So I've collected quite a few rolls needless to say.

Another thing I love for bedding extras... I love adult underpads under the fleece. They are great odor controller.

I also frequent the dollar stores to find extras... eg. boho cotton woven rugs that can sit atop the fleece, layering helps with clean-ups. Or you can even find carpet remnants that can serve as a solid flooring for a top grid deck & even layering the fleece too.

Enjoy the C&C cage. I am sure your piggies are loving it!

P.S. I am sure you have found Ly&pig's diet chart. I use it everyday as a very easy to follow guide for my piggies... they love their food just like me.

klp065

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

My piggies love the new fleece. They are constantly exploring rather than being in their pigloo.

I am trying out the puppy pads to see how they work. If not I would love to try your idea.

What do you use to give them hay? Do you have a dispenser or bin? I hate for it to be pottied on.

And yes, I use the diet chart...love it! Thank you!

internetjunkey

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Your piggies sound great!! I hope you love this site as much as everyone else!!

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
I use the "kitchen area" idea for their hay.

I usually change the kitchen area container/box. I like to recycle my cardboard boxes, so I use them & will just trash them out after each use.

I usually line the box with newspaper, then I have a layer of "litter" (yesterday's news, carefresh etc. I experiment all the times & will even mix 2 kinds together; but whatever you do... ***do not use cedar, cat litter or any beddings that can cause dust & potential URI to the piggies). I will then layer the top with hay. This kitchen area way needs more changing as hay gets soiled & can become mouldy... but the cardboard box makes it very easy to dispose of.

I am also currently experimenting with the walmart cat cubes ($3.99 ea). I lay the underpads down, then the litter, then the hay. My piggies seem to love hiding in that as they feel protected. Since they love it, I've since bought a few (so they get rotated while I clean them out & dry them). I have also cut a top slit where the hay falls from, unto a hideyhole tunnel top in there... this way they get clean hay all the time.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! Hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us. You'll learn more about your guinea pigs than you thought possible.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey! I have two Guinea Pigs too. both females too. Sandy and Mandy are their names.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.