Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Tunnel between cages

jono88888

Cavy Slave
Hi

I'm about to get 3 piggies as their owners are moving overseas so I'm cramming up on learning what I should do. They'll come with a cage but it's quite small so I've bought some cubes and I'm in the process of building something larger. As I live in a mild climate (Sydney) where it never gets very cold I'm planning on having them live outdoors, but under cover and sheltered. What I want to do is have 2 cages, one 5 by 2 with coroplast for living in and another similar size one which will be on the grass. What I want to do is somehow join these 2 cages up so they can have freedom as to choose where they want to be but I'd rather it not be with more cubes but with some kind of tunnel that can be easily removed when not in use - it would need to be about 10 feet in length. Has anybody done something like this, what did you use, how wide would the tunnel need to be, would the piggies use it. Also any feedback on whether you do think that keeping them outdoors is ok - the winter nights tend to be a minimum of 8C or 46F. This is how they've been kept for past 12 months.

tiggerinha

Cavy Slave
You can get flexible garden drain pipes at any home improvement store for around ten dollars. The standard is 18 feet. They are great because they are accordian-like. They bend and manipulate into shapes easily. Do you ahve Lowes or Home Depot there? As to your question regarding temps; it is not recommended to keep them at temps below 60 F.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You need to house them indoors for a variety of reasons. Health, temperature, predators (both human and animal). Therefore, it's never ok to let them live outside for any reason.

46F is way too cold for them outside. It's a wonder these pigs have survived. They need to be in a stable temperature environment of between 64F-75F.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.