Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone!

Dusty

Cavy Slave
Hi Folks,
Thanks for such a great website!

My name is Jim and we took in two unwanted guinea pigs a couple weeks ago. They came to us from my brother-in-law's family who had them for about three months. They got the cavies from an elderly woman who couldn't care for them any more. Originally they came to us in a travel cage lined with cedar bedding. Thanks to finding this site and reading about the bad effects of cedar, I quickly switched out the bedding to aspen. The change in their behavior was quite noticeable and they perked up a lot with the new bedding.

They're both male, about two years old and very healthy. "Tater" is a fuzzy brown and white, and "Rocky" is a smooth tri-color. Evidently the original elderly owner was a fan of this site because along with the little piggies came all the fixings for a C&C cage. There are about fifty grids with connectors, and a badly stained but usable Coroplast tray 2x3 in size. Unfortunately, while assembling a two story enclosure for the pair, our Beagle "Scooter", also a rescue animal, hopped over the sides onto the Coroplast. Good thing the piggies were safe in their travel cage.

As you can imagine, the idea of Scooter getting hold of one the little piggies was not pretty, and I had to abandon the original design. Luckily I'm a woodworker and was able to whip up a much safer (taller) home for the two little piggies. The sides are now 46" high and the floor area has been increased from 2x3 to 2x4 grids. Their pen is in the family room where my two daughters (ten and twelve) can lavish them with lots of attention. I'll upload a pic when time allows.

Of the two, Tater is the alpha male although he doesn't seem to bully Rocky too badly. I have to scatter their food around the enclosure otherwise Tater will sit on the pile, refusing to allow Rocky to eat until he's finished. Tater is also the most vocal. In the beginning, they were both pretty shy but Tater now greets me with some very cute squeals when he thinks I'm bearing treats. Occasionally they get into it but their rough-housing doesn't appear to be too serious. Once in a while you can see Rocky chasing Tater around the pen.

That's it for now. I have lots of questions but thanks to this great site, the most important ones have already been answered.

Jim

Welcomet to GPC!
Just a note-If you have two food bowls on opposite sides of the cage, the alhpa can only guard one of them-leaving the other piggie to eat. :)

Welcome to the forum!

My alpha girl still bully the other ones sometimes, but is not that bad. I'll say that is normal. Also, she is the talker and the begger. She will even do tricks for food. Of course she is the fat one...LoL!

Welcome to GPC!
Its always a good thing your cavy's Dad is such a resourceful handy man... would love to see pics of the cage.

Welcome to GPC!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.