Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Pigs Safe

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I have a few questions. Serious questions. I've searched this site up and down and haven't seen this posted yet so here it goes -

I have a 17 month old little boy, Samuel, who has discovered how remarkable the pigs are. Hes constantly trying to get inside their cage with them. I've had to move them to another room to make sure Samuel doesn't climb in and hurt one. Hes under supervision all the time around the pigs but just in case I would like to know how you all "baby proof" your cages? I notice alot of you have children so I need to know how you work with your kiddos and guineas.

As you might know, my guinea pig is very pregnant! So baby proofing the cage intime for the babies is important. We also have several toddlers running around as well who are my Samuel's cousins ages 2, 3, 4. They are little brats so how do I baby proof this darn cage? :p

We have a 2x3 single decker cage for mommy. And 2x3 for daddy (seperated!) We have not got any lids. They are in our basement and Samuel is rarely down there unless my father is over for a visit. He always takes Sam downstairs. But the brats are what worry me. Help? :crazy:

My family watches a 3 year old everyday 8am-6pm, and he is very interested in them also, but I can explain things to him about them and he kind of gets what I'm saying. I still do not trust him with the lid open. I have a lid, made of grids zip tied together. I have only the front 3 grids that can open (3x3 cage). I have the back side of them tied to the 3 behind them, and the front 3 tied together, but they are not tied on any other side. Instead to keep it closed I got Velcro Cord Organizer straps that look like this to keep the little one from opening it. Even if he does figure out how to open it, it'll probaby take a while to get it open, and you'll hear it opening. Just use more than one so it takes a while.

On my colombian's cage I have two clamps you can find at the pet store for around 2-6$ a pair and they hold tight I had trouble getting them off at first and I've been lifting wood,bricks,and glass tanks(they'er heavier than they look for 4yrs. So if you got some lids you could use clamps.

Last edited:
I have a cage with a swing down door. I put a combo lock on it when my niece comes over(she's 3). I tried to tie the door with a ribbon and she figured it out. She has given up with the lock because she knows she can't open it.
Putting the pigs in a room with a door that you can close and lock is really the safest way to go. Toddlers are very determined when they want something.

I have a 5-year-old, a 3-year-old, an almost-2-year-old, and a 7-month-old. Thankfully, they're well-behaved. But what I did was mounted my cage on a table. The connectors between the grids are actually screwed down onto the table, so it can't be pulled off or anything. I then put the boys' cage on top of the girls'. Even without a top cage, the one-level was still too tall for any of my kids to be able to get into it. I would be cringing if certain of my nieces and nephews were coming to visit, but I'm sure that they wouldn't be able to hurt anybody if they have proper supervision.

dido to cavyinhawaii, a door to the pig room is really the safest way to go provided it's used. I moved my pigs in from the garage for the winter into a room with a door. My kids are grown now and the concern is the dog. I have a bassett. I designed their pen so that if he were to ever get in acidentally the pigs can run from the bottom tier to the top level that he cannot reach. Makes it harder for me to clean but safety is more important. I also have grids that create a barrier to keep him out of getting into the bottom level.

Thank you everyone. I talked to Sam about safety. Hes only a year old but he actually understood what I was saying. He has not tried to get in with the piggies and hes actually came down and sat with me while I cleaned their cage. I let him touch them and he jumped backwards but after he realized they would not bite he decided to sit next to Poppy and enjoy his company. He hasn't seen Princess yet but i'm sure after her babies are born he will enjoy them as well. Sam is a great little man. Mommys baby :)

I am going to get some grids and make a lid though. I might have to order one expensively offline because the only place near here that supplies grids is target and I read that those are hazardous. Is that threat still out?

Thank you all so much! I am giving you all my thanks and kudos for keeping your piggies safe from your babies. Its a tough job being a mother and a pet owner at the same time but we all manage!

You can get shelving at Home Depot or Lowes and make a sturdier lid. Most of the time, they will cut it down to size if you can't find the right size. You just use two pieces and zip tie them together then it sits over the top of the C&C. You could even use a lock or two to make sure your little man doesn't get into it.

Look in the photo galleries at closed cages or lids for more info on what I am talking about.

Thanks but I think i've got it figured out. When I was outside today with Sam we happened to stumple across a couple old grid shelves and I took them apart - it looks perfect! The size is just about right, everything is great! Tomorrow we are hoping to put it on top of the cage but for now we're just rearranging cage. By next month we are going to buy a 2x7 so we'll need a bigger lid :D Piggies are just so expensive!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.