Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Quarantine

Janelle

Cavy Slave
I have a question on quarantine time. I'd like to have Dusty not have to be alone for long, if at all. I'd also like to introduce both boys to the new cage at the same time.

Here's my question. Strudel was a pet store pig. The lady we got him from had him for 2-3 weeks. He was their only guinea pig. So far, he's been nice and healthy. Since he had no contact with any other pigs at that time and so far he's had no problems, can I count that as 2 weeks of his quarantine? Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks!

I wouldn't. Moves can bring out stress and illness. And the average joe buying them from a pet store who is also giving them bad info, isn't going to notice most illnesses.

Have you treated both Dusty and Strudel for lice/mites?

I personally would probably consider the two weeks he spent in the previous home as part of his quarantine, and I would definitely go through with another couple weeks of true quarantine for him in your home. But (and this is just my opinion, and what I would probably do) I think you can count the time he spent in a previous home as long as there were no other pigs there.

I've never treated either for anything. I still have some Advantage here that i was going to give everybody, just to make sure that there are no residual lice (Yahoo had lice when I first got her). You can use Advantage on little ones, right? How big do they have to be?

Ok, so I could use it on the babies next week.

Nobody's showing any signs of mites. Should I treat for them just in case? If so, Ivermectin would be the medication of choice, right? And the babies would have to be 12 oz. They'd reach that soon. Dusty is already 9 oz, and Bunny's already 8.5 oz. They're gaining about an oz every 3 days!

Ivermectin, or Revolution. Just make sure you understand the dosing.

Yeah, I read it and will reread it several times before, during, and after dosing. One more question. The topical ivermectin is $40. I can get the oral for $7. Does the oral kill lice? If not, could I do oral ivermectin for mites and do the Advantage (which I already have here) topically for lice?

Thanks for the help!

You can't do ivermectin on the pups until they are at least 12 oz.

Thanks. I won't. Should I do it on the pups at all, since they've always been here? I've had mama for 5 weeks, and she's never shown a sign. Neither has Rumpy. Should I just dose Strudel as a precaution and leave it at that?

Usually, it's best to dose them all at the same time. I'd go ahead and quarantine Strudel for 3 weeks and weigh the pups and when the pups get to 12oz. just dose all the pigs. If you use ivermectin, do at least 2-3 doses spaced 7-10 days apart.

Is oral ivermectin ok? Should I do Advantage too, to make sure there are no lice?

Oral will be fine. I wouldn't worry about treating for lice though unless you actually see lice on them.

I haven't seen any since I treated Yahoo last month, but she had them when I got her. It just has me paranoid that there could have been some that survived. I already have the Advantage here, so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.