Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Quarantine Questions

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
We have had our new piggles in quarantine for a week, they appear healthy, they were checked by an extremely cavy savvy vet at the shelter they were dropped off too, and again by a cavy savvy vet s few days ago and cleared as healthy.

Is it safe to cut their quarantine short since they were evaluated and given the okay twice?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't. I lost my first piggy dolores about 2 weeks after I got her from a URI. Sometimes the stress from all the change lets them incubate stuff and that can take a couple of weeks to pop up. After my experience I am keeping my new piggies quarantined for at least 3 weeks if not more.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
A vet check won't catch any ailments that are lying dormant. Those are what the quarantine is meant to prevent the spread of. I would not recommend cutting the quarantine short.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.