Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick First time quarantine questions

claudinehere

Cavy Slave
Freya, my 1 year-old guinea pig, is sick with URI right now and has been prescribed antibiotics and needs to be nebulized. The vet recommended that I separate her from Ellie, her cagemate, until she gets better.

This is my first time doing a quarantine so I have a couple of questions (sorry if I sound dumb!):

1. Will it be okay to keep Freya in a store-bought cage during the quarantine period? We have an old cage lying around the house and we thought maybe we could use it. If not, where should I put her? We don't have extra cage supplies at home.

2. Should they be in a separate room or is it okay if they can see each other?

3. Would I need to reintroduce them once Freya gets well? I'm worried about this the most. The vet said it may take a week or two for Freya to fully recover; would this be too long a time for them to be separated?

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I actually wouldn't separate them. Ellie's already been thoroughly exposed, Freya is on antibiotics and therefore less likely to pass anything to Ellie, and separating a sick pig from its cagemate is actually stressful for the pig.

But if you do move her, the store-bought cage is fine. That, and travel, are actually what they're good for. If you're really quarantining, they need to be in separate rooms. Otherwise, you might as well leave them together. And yes, you'll have to reintroduce if you separate them. It may go well, or there may be some squabbling, but probably no all-out war.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree with bpatters. I wouldn't separate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.