Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How much does weight fluctuate each day? Updated

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
Spike has not been himself since Freaky started attacking him a few days ago. We think Freaky is entering adolescence and is going nuts. He hasn't hurt Spike, but is constantly on top of him and I guess Spike is scared.

As soon as I put the veggies in the cage, Spike runs out like usual, grabs a piece of something and then darts back to the pigloo to eat, but then doesn't come out again. The other two do the same thing - especially Freaky who never stays at the plate to eat.

Well, I stayed and watched and Spike never came back out. I can't get him to eat veggies, other than the first bite. This morning, I put him in a large box and gave him water, which he drank, although he did do a weird gulping/choking sound that I've never heard. But then was ok. He ate a few pellets, not much..... I noticed about 5-6 small poops from when he was in there for 30 minutes.

He's eyes are clear, he is more lethargic, but perks up when I come talk to him - he squeals more when I hold him and I think he's lost weight.

Unfortunately I don't have a weigh for him to go from. But last night he was 642g and today it's 638g - I'm not sure if that's a normal fluctuation.

Anything else I should do?

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Re: How much does weight fluctuate each day?

A 1 ounce fluctuation is allowed. If your really worried about Spikes well being you could put a divider in as long as it meets standards. THen maybe you could intro them again when they're all out of adolensence.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

642g to 638g is very normal for a day. However, how old is this pig? Only my tiniest female is even at 750-800g, so I might be worried that he's that small unless he's very young.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave

Paula, I've had him for 6 mos, I would guess he was 3-4 mos when I bought him (he's the pet store pig, the other two are not). I just KNOW he's smaller than last week. I read up on anorexia and I'm puzzled.

I'm separating him for meals now, but he's hardly eating - about 3 tiny pieces of lettuce, about 1/6 of a baby carrot. Maybe 1-2 bites of pellets and a piece of hay here and there.

I've been putting him back in the cage the rest of the time because I also feel he's more comfortable there.

So far no more weight loss, but I'll probably take him to the vet tomorrow.

camende

Cavy Slave

Karsluma, That is a normal fluctuation for a day. However, it seems pretty low for a piggie that is 8-9 months old.

I adopted a 3.5 month old piggie and the day I got her, I weighed her at 632g. On October 1, she will be 6 months old and I weighed her 2 days ago at 944g.

Of course, all piggies are different. I think a prudent thing would be to take him to a cavy savy vet.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

I would say a trip to the vet is in order. Let us know how it works out! Fingers crossed for the little guy.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave

We're on our way to the vet at 3:30pm today. Will update then.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
Back from the vet - not good news....

You can read all the background info in my previous post about weight fluctuations....but we just got back from the vet and Spike is staying there. He's in pretty bad shape - they are going to give him 2 nebulizer treatments today and 3 tomorrow and hope that he perks up and can come home.

The vet said that still doesn't guarantee that he'll make it. He said he has pnemonia, and what probably happened was he got some bacteria in him, but because of the stress of Freaky picking on him, he didn't eat/drink as much, got dehydrated, and the body couldn't fight the infection which led to it getting worse :(

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Re: Back from the vet - not good news....

Oh my! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you got him to the vet. Could your other guinea pigs have it too?

Karsluma

Cavy Slave

The other two pigs are acting completely fine - I asked the vet if it would be worth it to treat them anyway with an antibiotic and he said no, that the antibiotics themselves pose risks. But I should come in with them AS SOON as I notice anything and we won't have to go down the same road as we are with Spike

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave

I'm glad. How long will Spike be at the docters? Until he's out of the woods? One again I'm so sorry and mine and the guinea pigs prayers will be with you. Along with their prayers for more veggies that is!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear that and hope he gets better soon.

Please keep updates on the original thread so people don't have to go hunt down the original thread and because we prefer that members have one medical thread per pig illness with updates. I have merged your two threads together.

Janelle

Cavy Slave
I hope he's well soon!

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
SAD NEWS - The vet called shortly after we left and said that Spike died w/in 2 minutes of the treatment. The vet was so nice and said all the right things but I feel really guilty.

He also said that Freaky acting out might not have been just adolescence but because he knew Spike was sick already.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! I don't know what to say! I'm sooooo sorry! You did all you could for him and he knew he was loved!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh that's too bad. Hopefully your two other boys won't show any symptoms. I'm sorry to hear about Spike.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope all is well with your other piggies.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I am so so sorry. I very recently lost my first piggy. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Don't feel guilty though, you did all that you could, and acted as quickly as you could. You did what a responsible, loving, guinea pig owner would have done. You saw your pig wasn't right, so you saw that it recieved proper medical attention.
You tried, and that is all that matters.
You showed him that you loved him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.