Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help!

soprano

Cavy Slave
Hi Folks!

I had a male guinea pig for almost 3 years, and about 8 months ago bought a young male guinea pig from PetCo. Hello!?!?! I went to my cage last week, and I had 4 guinea pigs. Lessons learned... you bet.

So now I am the proud parent of 4 piggies. Plenty of room, in fact they have an entire room, hay, snacks, etc., all good in that department.

So what do I do? I can accommodate 4, probably more (GULP!). Do I fix all of the males? Or fix the female? Or separate her from the new 'brood'?

I have recently become fluent in sexing the pigs. Eh hem. Oh, and I am going to make a cage based on what I am finding here. I normally leave the door open and they never bother leaving the room, although they could.

Any males in the litter need to be seperated from mom and female siblings, at 21 days old or else they could get them pregnant again. You also need to take the daddy away from mom and female babes. You can pair up males with males with males and females with females for housing. Any females can stay with mom and males can live with dad.

THe female is preggo again.; Get the male out now. They should be on either alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay. The mom can have it until she's had her second litter and is done nursing.

Do you have a cavy savy vet on call? Its very likely the stress of a back to back litter can kill your girl.

She should be getting a variety of veggies. Check out the nutrrion chart sticky for ideas on what to feed.

Only one male can be housed with females or there will be fight. If you only have one male, nueter it. SPaying is not suggested as its very invasive and risky. Best of luck to you.

You should avoid surgery and just keep them in same sex separate herds. If the male was in there when the female gave birth, he most likely impregnated her again. They go into heat again immediately.

Remove any baby males at 3 weeks. They can go with Dad.

Baby proof the cage too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.