Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Very Mushy Poops

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
It seems that Fiona's poops are very mushy and break a lot. They're also teeny tiny, but she's smaller, so I never thought anything of it. Then I found this:

It seemed to be where the pigloo was, making me think she was sleeping and pooping and that it was mushy that they just all got into this clump. She drinks a LOT of water. When she eats her pellets, she eats a bite, gets a drink, eats a bite, gets a drink, etc. Could water overload be it, or is it something else?

(Side note: sorry for the nasty picture, but it was necessary!)

Drinking a lot of water, by itself, might warrant a vet visit. It could mean she's diabetic, could be a sign of kidney issues (which might also mean mushy poo), or any number of other issues.

I would try and collect a sample and take to the vet with you so it can be tested. My zoe drinks a lot of water but she has had blood works done and kidneys were fine and she was not diabetic.
Perhaps you have added something new to her diet? Try her on a grass, hay dry food diet for a few days to settle her tummy down, try some probiotics and vitamin C and take her to the vet.
Wishing you luck and hugs to fiona.

I'm most likely feeding more veggies than at the rescue, so that could be it. Though she's been here for almost a month, so I would think mushy poops would've been earlier on.

I thought of diabetes, Paula, but wouldn't that mean she wouldn't have much of an appetite, and would only be focused on drinking? One of my younger brothers has type 1 diabetes, but I don't know if human diabetes and animals' is anywhere near the same.

I can try and not give her so many veggies, see if that helps it at all for a few days, or do y'all think taking her to the vet ASAP is best?

Many of my pigs came from places where they got no veggies at all and if anything their poop looked far better once they were eating regular veggies, watery veggies or otherwise.

My dog is diabetic and her only symptom was a major increase in water consumption. Her appetite was normal, she was active, alert, etc. I don't know about pigs but I don't think Fiona would lose her appetite if she was diabetic.

Have you checked guinea lynx? Is it possible she's just pooping in a place where she's also peeing and making it look more mushy than it actually is?

Last edited:
I posted this thread on GL, and someone suggested getting in touch with the rescue to ask about veggies, or any previous problems. She'll probably get back to me by morning.

With that huge clump, I would say that's very possible. It really just seemed like she'd been in the pigloo sleeping, because usually there's a little mound every morning from the night, from all the pigs. But this one obviously is not full pellets.

Just her normal poops are more wet than the other three, and they break and when stepped on by a pig, squish and stick to their nails. :\

Ohhh, I see. Now that doesn't sound so bad. I was thinking ooey-gooey poops all the time.

And the water thing could just be her. A couple of my girls drink water A LOT but they've been checked out and they're just water drinkers. A couple of them play in the water a lot and although it appears they are drinking boats, they really are just making more work for me on cage day.

Vicki emailed me back, and I have been feeding more veggies than her. She asked if I was feeding more fruits, and I don't even think I've given Fiona any while she's been here, so it's not that. After all that she listed, I think I just haven't given her enough time to digest everything and get used to them. So, today, she got bell pepper and romaine lettuce, since she's already had those before.

Vicki also said when she got her, she was in a small cage and would stay in one spot, pooping and peeing and creating a gooey mess, and when she was bored, she'd play with the water bottle. I haven't actually seen/heard her play with the water, but I know she sure drinks a lot.

Another little pile of poo was left for me this morning, so I really think she pees and just likes to freak me out, seeing if I'm an over reactive piggie mom.

Thanks again, Paula, I'll keep you posted.

Are the poos normal shape and size or do any of them seem smaller and malformed?

This could be something as simple as her pooing in one spot then peeing in the same spot and then stepping on the mess and making it look like that.

You could try decreasing veggies for 2-3 days and upping the hay and see if there is any change.

Her poops are smaller than Gip's, and his are about half the size of the other two boys. So they're pretty small. But they're all about the same size and shape.

After talking to Vicki, I definitely think that's what the huge clump was, her pooping and peeing in the igloo without getting up, but her regular poops are still a little bit too wet. So, she only got romaine lettuce and bell pepper this morning.

I remember a long time ago, the poos weren't very normal. Then I read it could be diabetes or some other disease, or it may be an overfeeding of vegetables. I hoped it was the overfeeding, which was true.

I then learned my aunt thought the pigs were really cute when they ate, so she would always give them carrots and sometimes spend an hour watching them eat. She stayed for 2 weeks, and I noticed after she left, the pigs were having normal poos.

Good news. Mushy poops are now gone! They're still pretty crumbly though. Does that mean anything other than more work for me?

Thanks again! Suggestions worked, per usual. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.