Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, would like to introduce my 4 girls...

Cagney

Cavy Slave
I just built my first C&C cage and it's now housing my 4 little baby sows. I would love any advice on what breed or mix of someone thinks they are, I have guesses but am not sure if I'm correct.

Lilo~I thought she was a short haired american, but her hair is pretty long. I wasn't really wanting a long haired guinea pig, so I hope it just stays the medium lenght. If not, well then I guess I'll be brushing often. She's redish orange with a white area on her head, it's not crested.

Stitch~I know she's an Abby. white and a redish brown. She is a sister to Lilo and she also seems to have medium length hair. Both are 9 weeks old. She's the more dominant of the two, and I just love her crazy hair, it's all over the place!

Then there's Teeter and Totter. They are rescues and I wasn't planning on adding more piggies to my herd of 2, but couldn't resist them, so now we're a herd of 4. They are 6 weeks old.

Teeter~Still working on the introduction phase with Lilo and Stitch. She's kinda a solitary kind of gal. But I'm hoping she'll come out of her shell, or hide box in the next few days and interact more with the other girls. I think she's a silver agouti. She has a cream colored belly and the silver agouti markings on the rest of her. Slighty darker around the eyes.

Totter~A silver agouti abby. She seems to be meshing well with Lilo and Stitch and is a fast little girl. Her belly is cream like her sister, but has the silver agouti in 10 different rossette areas over her body. She is beautiful. Of course they all are, but she's a super cutie.

Sorry for the red eye in the pics. They all have dark eyes, just can't seem to capture them without the red eye in the pic.

Also in my home are 3 dogs. My hubby's schnauzer, and my two rescues a german shepherd/blue heeler mix and a rottweiler/ lab mix. The terrier is not allowed around the cavies for obvious reasons. But my two bigger dogs are friendly and have been caught laying down with Lilo and Stitch during floor times.

And of course there's my favorite in the house. My beautiful 2 year old daughter. She is very gentle with the piggies and dogs and never forgets to "eat the piggies" as she says first thing in the morning and right before bed every night. Don't worry she's not eating them. That's 2 year old talk for feeding the pigs.

I'm impressed with her calm gentle nature with the little cavies. But I shouldn't be too surprised since i'm a veterinary technician myself, and she's been taught how to properly act around animals from the beggining.

Right now the girls are learning to not be so scared in their new 15sq. ft. cage, and we enjoy sitting around watching them explore it. But don't make too many moves or bedding and piggies go flying!

I haven't had guinea pigs in over 25 years and am truely enjoying these girls. I suspect once they are older and more accustomed to their home they won't be so skittish.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Welcome. All your pigs are cuties.

Your breed/colours seem correct. The medium length haired pig may grow longer (into a Silkie), but some pigs are mixes and their hair is longer than an American, shorter than a silkie. Guinea Lynx :: Topic - What Kind of a Guinea Pig is That? (Breeds and Varieties) and Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Coat Types have breed/coat info since you seem interested.

That's great two of your dogs are tolerant of little animals! I'm sure you're careful, just make sure the dogs/pigs are always supervised together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.