Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cut/Scab that wont heal

Miss. Hanzi Pig

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs, Kassie has had this cut on her neck for quite a few months now. It is right on her neck at the side and going round and under, just above her front right leg so it is right on the crease. She's been to the vets twice, the first time she got put on antibiotics which did nothing for her at all, then we took her to a different vet and he gave her a 5-day dose of these steroid type tablets to keep the infection out. Both vets never had a clue what to do as they said a bandage would just fall off and a cone would just slip right off too. Ive been putting savlon antiseptic cream stuff on it once a day but it still wont heal. Anybody got any ideas on what could work? This may sound stupid but I was thinking maybe putting some sort of sock on her feet so she cant scratch the scab off as i think thats what the problem is. Some days it looks horrendous if the scab has came off and the white fur around it is just red from the blood! It looks awful im really stuck on ideas tho :S

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
First, a cavy savy vet would be in order.

What were the steriods for? Usually steriods inhibit healing.

Could you post a picture of the wound? How deep is it? Is it still infected or just not healing? How did she get cut?

Miss. Hanzi Pig

Cavy Slave
Sorry about the delay in reply ive been on holiday for a week.
I dont know about the steroids, she was on them for 5days to keep infection out but they did nothing. It does look quite deep but it musnt be that bad as the vet said it should heal up. And no its not infected it just keeps bleeding and wont heal because she keeps nocking the scab off it but theres no way to stop her from doing this. It doesnt seem to be getting any worse, its just not getting better.
We have no idea how she got the scab it started out tiny then one day i was feeding my pigs and realised her fur was all red so picked her up and it had just suddenly got quite big. They both live in the hutch outside (its cleanered regularly by the way, even more than usual now with the cut as i dont want it getting infected) but ive checked it for sharp things pointing out which she could have scratched it on but theres nothing.

Do you think I should maybe try some sort of bandage :S
I will take a photo and post it here tomorrow or Monday

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Just a thought - she might be scratching due to mites. An itch animal will scratch themselves raw. The steriods probably were for the itching as it will sometimes calm itching due to allergies. If it is mites the steroids would not help. If you have not already done so you might consider treating for mites, it couldn't hurt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.