Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bite Mark or Abscess?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I noticed Milo had a slightly swollen lip yesterday, but thought he may have bumped into something because they had all been very rowdy that morning. [Ever try to sleep thru morning veggies? Not happening!] Well, this morning all was fine, I had just looked at Milo and everyone was normal, I came back 10 minutes later and Milo had a bloody spot! None of my other boys have a mark on them, so I'm not sure if this is a bite mark, a busted abscess or perhaps he just ran into the brick in the cage.

Does anyone know what it might be? Of course, how should I go about making sure it heals properly and avoid infections? I plan on emailing the pictures to my uncle/vet to see if Milo needs to be seen.

twenty909

Cavy Slave
That happened to one of mine recently. Before I could really worry about it or get her to the vet it had healed up. Best to keep a watch on it for sure.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
An online friend of mine says it's a bite mark, and with her 20-ish guinea pigs I'm gonna guess she's right. The mark is already scabbed over and smaller today. Guess there's nothing to fret over, but I'm gonna keep an eye on it in case of infection or abscess.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If it's scabbed over it's probably ok.

About a year ago, one of my boys had a huge bite on his back. I cleaned it with dilute betadine solution and put a tiny bit of neosporin on it. Two days after, when I took him to the vet, it was already scabbed and much smaller. The vet said he was fine and that I probably hadn't needed to bring him in. The visit still cost $85, but hey.

Just keep an eye on it and at the very first sign something might not be right, take him in.

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
I can't really add anything to what already has been said. On a side note though...he has the cutest face! There is nothing cuter than piggy lips.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.