Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

nail clipping advice

ms pixie riot

Cavy Slave
My two adopted piggers, Page and Plant (the name change has stuck, it's really appropriate for them) have really long nails. They're 10 mos old and I don't think their nails have ever really been clipped.

They're getting a little bit more comfortable with me holding them (they've been with me for just over a week) but they still get sort of twitchy, and they do NOT want to be held up to have their nails clipped.

Should i give them another week or two to adjust, or should i be trying to get this done ASAP?

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If they've never had their nails clipped, they need it done asap as it's very uncomfortable for them to have that long of a nail. The nails grow so long that they can twist or grow up into the soft area of their paws.

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
As said, it does need to be done ASAP. Remember to watch out for the Quick when you cut the nails. You don't want to cut that tended vein.

ms pixie riot

Cavy Slave
I'm lucky, three of my four pigs have white paws, so the quick is very visible.

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
Very lucky.
Patch's quick is hard to see.

ms pixie riot

Cavy Slave
Is it feasible, so that I don't get scratched up, to kind of wrap her up in the piece of fleece she loves to snuggle in, so that she only has one paw out at a time? I think it would be safer for her too, because she'd be in one place and that would make it easier for me to trim and avoid the quick.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Putting one of mine wrapped up in a towel is the only easy way to trim his nails. The other one is fine without the towel and my last one hates it in or out, he's just a fighter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.