Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Cut piggy's nail but not all the way

Magnolia

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I was in the process of cutting my guinea pig Edward's nail when I accidentally cut a little too close so he squeaked and I immediately stopped. It didnt really bleed but you can see where the cut line is on his nail....it didnt cut all the way thru but I feel so terrible. I wonder if that will cause him pain? Or if his nail will join or grow back...I feel so bad. 😢 it's where the red vein mark is...but it did t cut the whole way thru.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It won't join back together, but his nail will keep growing as usual and the cut bit will no longer be in the quick of the nail. Now depending on how deep the cut line is in the mean time he may catch the nail on something and tear it off, so depending on how far back in the nail it is it may be better to just finish cutting it all the way. If the cut line doesn't seem to be deep enough to catch and tear just keep an eye on him and finish cutting as soon as it grows out enough to no longer be in the quick (the pink bit of the nail).

I've cut my guinea pigs nails a touch too short by accident a few times, half of mine have black nails so it is easy to do. If it happens just apply pressure until it stops bleeding and they will go back to their usual business when you put them back. If it is more than just a touch too short you may need to use some corn flower, flower, or styptic powder to help stop the bleeding. I have some styptic powder in my guinea pig first aid box and bring it out every time I nail trim just to be safe, I've yet to need it but I have it right on hand for if I do.

Magnolia

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for responding! I feel so bad! It was my first time cutting his nails and I just dont want him to be uncomfortable. Its cut into the quick a bit. I do t want to cut the rest off so I think I will just watch his nail. I just hope he dont hook it on anything. I'll make sure to keep watch on him. Thank you for the reply!