Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast alternative? (asked for the 1000th time)

Tergale

Cavy Slave
I know you've heard it before so I apologize before hand.

I plan on building a cage for new guinea pigs soon. I've read that using wood as a base is fine if rapped in a plastic but what would be the best method of doing this and should I still be concerned about them getting at the grid or should I build the base to have sides if possible?

Thank you for your help I admit I am very new to this.

mochaviolino

Cavy Slave
How to build an alternative C&C type cage

You can use linoleum, peel 'n stick tiles. Just make sure it's easy to clean and unlikely to collect/hide dust, mashed poo, dried urine, etc.

It would be a good idea to use grids or some other wire enclosure in addition to the side walls since some pigs like to jump. The coroplast sides on my cage are about 6-7" tall, but when they stand against it (during salad time), they look like they could jump or fall out. I wouldn't risk it, which is why they're surrounded by grids.

Tergale

Cavy Slave
The cage will have side grid and top I am just a little confused on how to go about with the bottom. Could I use the linoleum tiles and put bedding ontop of that and use more linoleum to form a 6-8" against the grid?

Thank you for your help

Tergale

Cavy Slave
Ok Saturday was the day everything was done and I posted my welcome thread here yesterday. Thanks again to all the info and help that I was able to find here. I could use some tips/advice on my cage and with a couple questions.

This was pretty much the best size I could make the cage with the amount of space I have. It's the first cage I built and I'm honestly very proud of it even though I'm worried it might not be big enough for him. He seems to be very happy though. I took out that small little house you can see in the picture and put a larger one in made from cardboard which he loves. Yesterday morning he did a little bit of running and popcorning when I gave him a paper bag to play in. I also put in hay inside a half cut 12 pack box cut with a hole for him to get at the hay (no pictures of this yet). Is he going to be happy enough with this cage? I'm planning on putting together an easy to take out and put away pen for him to run around on the floor when ever I can which would help but not sure how much floor time he would need with the cage setup he has now.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tergale

Cavy Slave
Also is there a way to edit posts? I could really use some opinions though as I'm new to this and just want to make sure he's as happy as possible.

*edits*
I see the button now, so theres a time limit on it? ok.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
It looks OK. It's not the best in size, but is bigger then a pet store cage by far.

Also watch to make sure he doesn't start chewing the sides of the plastic you used for the base.

Once you get the floor time figured in he should be OK. Have you thought of getting him a friend?

Very cute pig too BTW.

Tergale

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about it and would love to I just don't want to cram 2 of the guys in a cage to small. Would they be ok in a cage that size with floor time or would it be better to leave one to the cage, or would the companionship alone makeup for it?

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Boys need at least a 2X4 to be able to be housed together. Boars will fight if they don't have enough room and unfortunately, your cage doesn't seem big enough for two. You would have to either make it a little wider or longer.

Boars by all means can live happy as long as they have enough space. I have 5, 3 in a 3X4 and 2 in a 3X3.

Instead of keeping mine long, I made them wider and it still fits in the recommended sizes.

Tergale

Cavy Slave
Mine is currently a 2x2 with a 1x1 on it, it was going to be a 2x3 but I made it this way. I'm thinking of trying to expand it to a 2x3 with a 1x1 on it but I don't think it would be big enough still.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Not for two boys, no. It really needs to be at least 2X4 or 3X3.

Tergale

Cavy Slave
Well I was very worried for him at first but he has shown a complete 180 in his attitude. He lets me and a few other people in the family pet him. As I type this he is sitting on my lap just relaxing. He loves his chin/cheek to be rubbed and he vibrates and coos/gurgles and makes such an awesome cute noise. I still may get him a buddy but so far he's such a great addition to the family.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.