Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin easy-mode help. =P

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to find where I can order topical ivermectin in the right strength. Literally, a link to a place where I can order it and have it overnighted. A place with a shopping cart where I don't have to ponder it deeply.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I'm a bit perfectionist and worried about my pigs. I've gone to a few feed stores and the dosage and strength and such worries me.

If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative.

I think the only place you are going to be able to do this is at the vet's office. I had the very same concern and as far as I can tell, you can't buy ivermectin (or Advantage) dosed for pigs - you have to figure it out yourself. :sad: The vet will give you the medicine and the syringes and tell you *exactly* what to do for each pig.

It's not hard, I know, but it is a bit intimidating and overwhelming, so I completely understand your concern. When I took my pigs in a year or so ago for mites, they only charged me one exam fee and weighed all the pigs so they could give me the right does for each pig. Maybe your vet could do something similar? It was still expensive but not as bad as if I had been charged a different exam fee for each pig.

Good luck and best wishes!

I wonder if you could buy your own stuff, take it to the vet and ask them to dose it for you? It might work out cheaper and you'd still feel secure about the dosage.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I bought mine from (broken link removed), the place linked to on the guinealynx ivermectin pages, then followed the directions there. I had it 2-day shipped, think they have overnight too. My biggest trouble was trying to figure the right syringe/needle to buy actually.

If you went with the horse paste, any 10cc syringe will work to measure the water, but to get an accurate dosage for the pigs, I would use a TB or Tuberculin Syringe. They only go up to 1cc and you can dose it out very accurately.

I'm not so good with uh numbers, and measurements and such.

So, (broken link removed) is the topical stuff?

I can get to the vet to get some on Friday, but I hate making the pigs wait until then. The latest pig brought in some fiece mites, which seem to be much worse than the previous cases I've delt with. I feel so bad for them!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
The horse paste is taken orally. This is the topical stuff:
(broken link removed) It says it's for injection on the box but you put it behind their ears.

This is the 1cc syringe I bought (if you don't already have one): (broken link removed)
And the needle to get the stuff out of the bottle (not sure if the size matters but this one worked for me):
(broken link removed)

Then it's .05cc (doesn't need to be diluted) for every 1000g of pig. Mine were around 1000g and 1500g, so they got .05 and .075 respectively, which turns out to be a tiny little bit in the syringe, just a couple of drops. Oh, this might help for the visuals: Guinea Lynx :: Topic - I cannot believe I missed this

I've just finished up my third week of treatment a few days ago. Right frustrating to figure out, bit scary the first time, but turned out to be not too bad at all. Good luck!

I ordered both. I'm not worried about shipping prices when my pigs are itching!

One had urine scald from her previous home, and it was healing up until the mites assaulted it. I am also looking into any shampoo, powder, or creams I could use to help her feel better.

Thanks for the help and not mocking me for my sheer incompetence at all things measurement and numbers. This is why I don't cook!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.