Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sharing Mistakes for Cage and Adoption with other newbies

Justin

Cavy Slave
Hi.

I had a single guinea pig years ago. Recently, I decided to have a few guinea pigs again and have four boars in a three story 2x4 c&c cage now. Photos are uploaded in closed-multistory section. It's the black wire with navy blue coroplast one. So far, I already made MANY mistakes that I would like to share. ;(

1. Read information on guineapigcages.com carefully. Better spend time reading than remaking the cage.

2. Trust the information. No need to learn the lesson in hard ways.

Now some examples.

1. For boars, TWO is the magic number.
Well, actually I had two initially. I added one more. The trio still bonded really nice. Now I know that I was already lucky.
Then I became greedy. I got another against advises. Now I am having trouble. Two boars among the four are competing for the stupid alpha-male ship. They don't understand that they will never have a female anyway. If things don't get better in couple of weeks, I might have to separate the cage :(

2. Do not section it to smaller areas.
If I read it in this website before, probably I would not have done it. Well, it's done. And it is main reason that I will have to redesign the cage again.

3. Easy to clean is important.
With easier design, you can clean more frequently.
My observation says that pigs love clean and simple cage better than a dirty cage with full of obstacles to explorer.
Also, you will still be able to manage to clean the cage when you are down.

4. Maximum open area for running.
I finally had to admit that they do not need 10+ hiding places. They don't even sleep in the hiding place half the time. It's better have more playing area.

5. Make height of coroplast 5~6 inches.
I made it three inches. Thought it would be enough because the last pig I had only walked, didn't run and jump all day. I can't keep my living room from poops and beddings that they kicks out. I think I will have to buy the 3 sheets of coroplast again. *sigh*

Hope it helps.

AneesasMuse

Cavy Slave
Thank you for this valuable information! Wow.. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way for some of it, but grateful that I won't from reading about your experiences.

I have one piggy and am just about to embark on his "mansion" this weekend (I finally found coroplast for less than $200 per sheet! LOL). I'm still looking for Giorgi's buddy, though... and will stick with just a pair of boys after reading this.

Thanks! :)

~Aminah and Giorgi Boy

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
I found that in some areas my coroplast was too short as well. I ended up just using slightly larger coroplast scraps from when I built the cage and slid them in behind the shorter coroplast wall. So far, that seems to work well, and then I can slide the scraps out temporarily for better viewing whenever I want to watch them play.

Justin

Cavy Slave
Finding coroplast was a challenge indeed!

I emailed several local sign companies from Yellowpage to find out their supplier. One replied me with the contact information,

PRODUCT SIGN SUPPLY, 625 Emory St., San Jose, CA 95110, 408-271-6776

I opened an merchant account and it was only $8 for white color and $10 for navy blue color for a 4mm x 4ft x 8ft sheet. I bought 5 sheets of navy blue that day.

They had red, green, blue, yellow in similar price range. The only expensive one was black color which was over $30 per sheet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.