Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Enlarged Nipple/Mis Sexed?? Help!!

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone -

So we adopted our second piggie, and there are two issue: 1. I am not sure that it is actually a male. I tried sexing it, but I was not 100%. Also, I spoke with the rescue lady earlier today and she swore that she checks them over at least 3 times and is 100% it is a male.

Now, the other issue, and the more important one, is that this new guy/girl has a very enlarged nipple (at least I think that is what it is). Again, I spoke with the rescue lady and she said it sounded like a fatty tumor and not to worry just yet. She was not able to view the pics until tonight, and she would tell me more then.

So.. uploaded two pics of this little guy/girl and wanted to get peoples opinions here. The pics are under my profile. Please, I really value everyone's opinions/advice here, and I totally need it.

Thanks!

---as I am writing this thread the rescue lady just emailed me to tell me she is 100% sure he is a boy as he has been in the rescue over a year (that is what we do - we just adopt the ones who have been there the longest. I mean, how can you say one pig is cuter than the other!?)

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
To be on the safe side I would take him/her to the vet for a biopsy as it dosent look good, on another note the piggy looks like a girl but looks like a boy at the same time, Lol. Take a look at this link for more info on sexing, Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
I would get to a vet as soon as possible. That nipple looks sore and is huge, when you said enlarged I thought a little bit bit that is about 4 or 5 times bigerthan it should. If you haven't had him long I am very suprised any reputable rescue would adopt out a pig with that issue. I have to admit that I have never seen any genitalia that looks like that, though I do think it may be a girl, one because the lack of a visible penis but also I had a rabbit with an enlarged nipple and it turned out to be mastitis (basically inflammation of the mammory glands), mastitis rarely occurs in males, atleast in humans.

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
I would get to a vet as soon as possible. That nipple looks sore and is huge, when you said enlarged I thought a little bit bit that is about 4 or 5 times bigerthan it should. If you haven't had him long I am very suprised any reputable rescue would adopt out a pig with that issue. I have to admit that I have never seen any genitalia that looks like that, though I do think it may be a girl, one because the lack of a visible penis but also I had a rabbit with an enlarged nipple and it turned out to be mastitis (basically inflammation of the mammory glands), mastitis rarely occurs in males, atleast in humans.

I know! I freaked out last night. I cannot imagine that feels good at all. It could also explain the fact that s/he has been a little aggressive to our current pig, and is still "chattering" at him after a few days of being together.

She does run a HUGE rescue in NJ. I think the problem may have been that the Pig was at a foster parent, who may not have looked as much as she should have. Either way, this most certainly needs to be taken care of asap.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It should be easy to find out if your pig is a male. Just gently press just above the genitals yourself and see if a penis pops out. You would be able to feel the shaft under the skin just above the genitals. Boars have nipples too.

In any case, you do need to take the pig to a cavy savvy vet and have that nipple looked at.

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
I am taking Ralph to the vet early next week. It was the earliest time I could get an appointment. Ugh. I feel so bad for the little guy!

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
Actually, just spoke to the rescue, we are going to use one of the vets they use, and it should be taken care of this weekend. good news!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Let us know how things go!

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone - just thought I should make an update. I was on the phone to many guinea pig specific vets recommended by this site and lynx, and could not get an appointment until next week. However, from what they told me over the phone, and from what the Rescue said, what is going on is that Ralph likely has an enlarged mammary gland, and it is not as serious as it looks (cause it does look nasty!)

Everyone asked me if he was eating well, pooping, how was his temperament, etc. Well, he eats TONS, Poops TONS, and he is a lover. My older pig and him seem to be getting along lovely these days. So, in the end, since the vets could not get to see him for at least 2 weeks, and sicne they were MASSIVELY expensive, the Rescue is taking him to the Vet next week, to get it checked out for sure, make sure it is not cancerous, etc. I have also been told that sometimes, the vets won;t even remove it if it is no cancerous because to put the piggies under anesthesia is worse. I was also told to put a tad bit of pressure on it to see if any liquid comes out. I will do that later tonight. In all honestly, I 100% trust my rescue and the vets I spoke to, and I have been monitoring Ralph like a hawk, and he really is acting like a normal happy pig.

Anyway, I have tons of updated pics of the new cage (second level added), the pigs being pigs, etc. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
Oh and in terms of my two posts above, the vets called me back saying they had a conflict, so thats why the appointments moved. ugh. And I thought the rescue could get him to a vet this weekend, but after I made that post, I was told it was next week. Either way, Ralph seems as happy as can be, and all the info/research I have done leads me to believe that in all likelihood, this is not serious.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
I also wanted to add that you really need to verify the sex of "Ralphie". When I looked at your pictures in the gallery, I thought "Ralphie's" genital area looked female. "He" looks to be about the same age (or at least size) as a couple of my pigs. So I looked at them for reference and they don't look anything like "Ralphie."

I was going to put up my pictures against yours for comparison, but apparently someone flagged them in photobucket as violating their terms of service and they were removed.

Mods, can I put them in my gallery?

BiscoJosh

Cavy Slave
I am positive he is a male. His 'member' is just way up inside. I was totally shocked when I actually saw it b/c I was convinced he was a girl. :)

mbator

Cavy Slave
I would take him to the vet just to be sure of the sex, in fact my male had a baby last night, what I was told, the piggies we got were both males well low and behold, he turned out to be a she, and she is young, I never knew she was pregnant, she had one baby so I quickly seperated her from her male friend and she is doing fine, now I have 7 piggies altogether, oh boy!! I am really amazed though how she carried on with her pregnancy and gave birth and is taking care of this little one, I have never seen a baby cavy before so it is neat, just a shock......:eek:

clotho

Cavy Slave
mbator if the male was still with the female when she gave birth, she is quite likely pregnant again. Females go into estrus immediately following birth and if the male was with her, chances are she's already pregnant.

Make sure you are weighing her and giving her a very high quality diet because it takes a lot out of them to nurse and be pregnant at the same time.

mbator

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your post, boy I hope she is not pregnant again, had I known I would have seperated them long ago, I was told she was a he and that is how this all started....I want to keep her and the baby of course and so now I am going to try and find a good home for two of my other males as it is getting out of hand now. I am going to post it at our vet's office in hopes of finding a good person out there, will see. My cavies are very spoiled I think they eat better than I do so I know she is getting a lot of good veggies. Thank you again.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.