Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

4x8 split cage?

Dodge

Cavy Slave
So, I'm in the process of building a 4x4 cage for my pig Dodge but, I just responded to an ad in my city for another male pig. I know that boars don't always get along. So my question is, can I build the whole cage as a 4x8 and split it in half using only grids so that they can still smell eachother or do I have to do 2 2x4's side by side with coroplast and grids separating them?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Many people have a lot of luck getting their boars to get along. You will first have to quarantine the new piggie in a seperate room for three weeks. Then you need to introduce them in a VERY neutral area.

If you want to make a 4x8 and split it in half with grids then that is okay too. I have seen people do that. I had to do that with my girls while one of them was pregnant!

I think that is a good idea because then they still have company, but they can't fight. I think I would try to quarantine them and then introduce them. Maybe they will get along!

Good luck!

Dodge

Cavy Slave
OK so can I just separate them with the grids all the way down or do I have to put up a part of the coroplast to separate them.?

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Just grids is fine as long as they are held in place well. Zip ties should work.

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
I had to make a divided cage for my 3 boars and zip ties and grids works fine. Two boys are in a 2x4 and the third is in a 2x3. Both have lofts. They like being able to see each other and communicate through the grids but they can't hurt each other any more. Try them together first though after quarantine.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Many many many people have a large herd of boars living together happily. It would be unfair to just assume that they wont.

Granted some pigs (male or female) will never get along, introducing them in a nuetral area always goes a long way. Plop a big salad in the middle, and watch. The first 30 minutes will be the worst, but after 3 weeks everything should be fine.

If it isnt, the next option is a buddy bath. Basically, you bath the 2 pigs together and "scare" them into becoming friends.

For lots of information check out this site https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Firstly though, the new pig will need to go through a quarantine period. The pig needs to be in a different room, and the period needs to last for 3 weeks. This should insure that the new pig is not sick and then the introductions can begin. For info on this scroll down past the info on
nuetering here https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Neuter

Edit:
Scroll down to compatibility on this site Guinea Lynx :: Companionship

This thread here is a whole heap of threads compiled into one about success stories in regards to keeping boars together
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Boars Living Together

Also, if you look to the right hand column on this page https://www.cavyspirit.com/fighting.htm you will find a list of myths.

Last edited:

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I would definitely at least try introducing them as suggested above. I actually have 4 boys who get along and live together in the same 3x6 cage. Every once in a while there is a ruckus, but for the most part they do their own thing and live well together.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
I also have 4 boys. I have a 3x8 and right now there is still a lot of chasing, nipping, nose-offs, butt sniffing, mounting and the like but so far nothing serious. They also have a 2x3 loft. I really think it helps that they have room to get away.
Yesterday I was watching and Harry was following Dodger around sniffing him and trying to mount him. Dodger was just trying to get away. Chopper heard the ruckus and went over and got in between Dodger and Harry to make Harry leave him alone. It was so funny.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.