Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello ~ from Dash and Rose!

kmug500

Cavy Slave
Hello, my name is Kelly. My two youngest boys Riley and Ryan where blessed with two Guinea Pigs at Christmas ~ Dash and Rose. Both are a couple of months old. I am having so much fun raising them. I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can. :)

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums.

Pigs are alot of fun. I have 4 girls. My oldest turns 1 in 6 days!

Check out the stickies located at the top of the forum, they hold alot of information.

Do you have a C&C cage? What food do they get? Are they both the same sex?

kmug500

Cavy Slave
Hello! Where do I begin? I have four boys (25, 21, 7 1/2, 6), two Guinea Pigs, and one African Frog! I have a regular cage for Dash and Rose, but I am looking into making a bigger one with a second floor. They eat very well, I think. They get "Super Premium Guinea Pig Blend ~ with Ester C", and Alfalfa, also fresh fruit or veggies everyday. When I first got them, I thought they where the same sex, but now I think they are different. This is why I have joined a forum ~ to learn everything I can about them. Kelly:)

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
So glad you've found this site. There's so much good info to read on here. If you have any doubts about them being of the opposite sex, please separate them. You don't want a pregnant piggy if it can be helped. They can get pregnant very young. Also the food you listed that says blend, if it has seeds or little color pieces in it, I would not recommend using it, they can cause the piggies to choke. A couple of the best brands would be Oxbow or Kleenmama's pellets. I personally use the Oxbow brand, my 6 boys love it. We would love to see pigtures of the piggies.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
First things first we need to work out the sex of this pigs. Chances are if they are different sexes the female is already pregnant, although I hope she is not as a pigs pregnancy is very very difficult with alot of risks.

You can post pictures of their genital area or have a look at the following 2 sites
- Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs
- https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

If they are different sexes they need to be separated ASAP. Put each pig in a temporary cage until you can fix something together. Perhaps keep one in the original cage and the other in a pen.

C&C cages are brilliant. There is info on these all over this site and the forums. Basically they are made up of coroplast and grids/cubes. The grids/cubes can be found at Target. The coroplast at any good sign maker.

2 boys will need a 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage (10.5sq ft cage). 2 sows will need a 2 grid x 3 grid (7.5sq ft) C&C cage. If they are of different sexes, then I suggest you get the boy nuetered (3 weeks after his op he can go back in with his lady).

They need a good quality pellet. Oxbow Cavy cuisine, KMs Timothy based pellets and Mazurri 5664 are the best brands.
- (broken link removed)
- (broken link removed)

Alfalfa hay is good for supplemental purposes for young or nursing pigs. But they should always have unlimited amounts of grass hay such as Timothy Hay, Oaten Hay etc.

Veggies should be provided on a daily basis (I feed my girls twice a day). Pigs can not make vitamin c so they get their vitamin c from their veggies. Check out Lys Nutrition Chart - https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

Please ask as many questions as you need to.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!
As pigsforlife said, you should get a 2x4 or bigger, the more space, the better! I would make a second level, and check to make sure she is not pregnant by going to a vet and have them check. As mentioned in the previous posts, they can be life threatening for both mommy and pups.
I would feed timothy hay, but if one is pregnant, I would suggest mix the Alafalfa with it. I would get them checked by a vet A.S.A.P.
I would love to see some pictures, we all love pictures!

Hope to see you around here soon!

I am near Boston too!

I love snow!

kmug500

Cavy Slave
To all of you ~ Thank you! I am so glad I found you. First, I just came back from the store and got Timothy's Hay and Sweet Meadow Premium Timothy Pellets. To Pigsforlife, that would be wonderful if I could take a picture of them and show someone. Do you mean here? If so, can you tell me where on the site to go? One more quick question ~ can you give them a vitamin C tablet (broken up of course), someone told me I should. Thanks again, Kelly

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
The timothy hay you have should be alright, but I definitely recommend trying to find Mazuri pellets or ordering Oxbow online. I am not exactly sure if your pellets are good or not- I found them online if anyone else wants to give a more exact answer.. *cough* LY *cough*

(broken link removed)

I give my pigs a vit. C tablet from Oxbow every other day on a piece of tomato (crushed). Where did you get these tablets?

Are they getting any veggies now?

Also, I agree with Ash (Pigs for life) about trying sexing them again. If nothing else, a vet visit is always a good thing. That way you can know 100% sure and also make sure they are healthy.

Just out of curiosity- where did you get them?

kmug500

Cavy Slave
Where did I get the tablets? They are regular chew-able Vit. C tables, I bought at the drug Store. Gosh, I hope that is okay? Kelly

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Normal Vit. C tablets for humans with nothing else added are fine. Pigs really do not need them though if they are getting a variety of vegetables. They tend to get all of the Vit. C they need from their vegetables although if the pig is sick or recovering from surgery it is recommended to supplement with Vit. C.

As for the picture. Once you have taken the picture, you need to upload the pictures from your camera to your computer. If you dont already have photobucket, it is a free service and I recommend it over other photo services. Basically all you need to is register on whatever photo service you choose, then upload your pictures. Copy the IMG code, and paste it in your message. There is a great page on this somewhere. I will go and find it for you.

kmug500

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I can take the photo's and have no problem uploading. I just don't know where to put the picture, I don't want to freak anyone out! Thanks for helping!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Ok. Underneath the photo there are 4 different things you can copy. You need to copy the IMG code. Then on GPC, click Post Reply. Ctrl V will paste it for you in your message. Then do the same for anymore images. When you have finished submit your post, and the links will come up as pictures.

kmug500

Cavy Slave
OMG! I asked my husband to help me, and guess what! I am in so much trouble! Maybe I was just too gentle the last time I tried. Dash is a BOY! And Rose is a GIRL! I think what helped was all the pictures I have looked at today. I just put a big piece of cardboard in the cage. Now I have to find me a Vet that does G. P. The good thing (I think ~ I hope) is Rose has not gotten any fatter around the belly, than Dash. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! I am not ready for babies. Kelly:)

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
How old are they?

A pigs gestation is about 10 weeks. You wont be able to tell for sure if she is pregnant until about week 7.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Hopefully she is not pregnant! How old is she? This is very important, please seperate them immediately! You can keep them in seperate temporary cages for the time being!

If your boy is over 6 months you can look into neutering him. It will take 3 weeks for the sperm to die after neutering, so you will still have to keep them seperate for 3 additional weeks!

Please keep us updated and ask questions if you have any!

kmug500

Cavy Slave
We got Dash and Rose in December. They were babies. I am guessing they are around three months old. I separated them last night. They don't like it. My kids don't like it either. My older son keeps asking if we can let her have babies just once! I will look into Vets tomorrow. If I understand right, I will have to wait around 7 more weeks to make sure she isn't pregnant? And he has to be older than 6 months to neuter? One more different question ~ someone told me not to give them a lot of treats (fruit & veggies), he said one little piece every other day. Is this true? I thought I read somewhere here that I should give them fruits or veggies everyday. About how much? Thank you again, you have all been so helpful. Kelly:)

kmug500

Cavy Slave
Is Plexiglas OK in a cage? I have a strip of Plexiglas about 6 inches high to divide my cage, and I am worried if it is dangerous for them if they chew it?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Veggies are 2nd most important part of the diet after hay. You should be giving each pig at least one cup per day. I feed lettuce (butter, raddicio, endive, escarole, and red leaf) that comes all together in a spring mix from Krogers. 1 baby carrot, bell pepper, and cherry tomato, and cilantro each day, and a piece of apple, and maybe some other fruit once a week. Make sure never to give iceburg lettuce.

Here is an excellent vegetable chart-
(broken link removed)

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
We got Dash and Rose in December. They were babies. I am guessing they are around three months old. I separated them last night. They don't like it. My kids don't like it either. My older son keeps asking if we can let her have babies just once! I will look into Vets tomorrow. If I understand right, I will have to wait around 7 more weeks to make sure she isn't pregnant? And he has to be older than 6 months to neuter? One more different question ~ someone told me not to give them a lot of treats (fruit & veggies), he said one little piece every other day. Is this true? I thought I read somewhere here that I should give them fruits or veggies everyday. About how much? Thank you again, you have all been so helpful. Kelly:)

Yes, about 7 more weeks, but you will notice her getting more pear shape as she gets further along if she is pregnant. About 4 more weeks and the babies may start to be visibly moving! That is if they weren't together at the petstore. If they were then she may be further along than we think!

Around 6 months is when he can be neutered. Make sure you find a good cavy savvy vet and they will let you know exactly when to neuter.

Your piggies should have AT LEAST a cup of green leafy lettuce (no iceburg) and other good veggies every day. Mine get at least a cup of romaine lettuce, 1/8 bell pepper, and cilantro 2 times a day each! Fruit should be limited to about 2-3 times per week!

Sorry I don't know about the plexiglass! But if it is to keep him and her seperate, than it should be about 10 inches high!

kmug500

Cavy Slave
Thank you wickedrodent, what a great chart. I have made a Doctors appointment for March 13, for both my GP's, for check-ups and to schedule Dash's appointment for neutering. Thank you newpiggiemommy for letting me know what you feed yours. Again ~ you all are so great and are helping me out a lot. Thank you! Kelly
:love: Dash & Rose:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.