Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where should I put a water bottle??

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have very recently bought grids and my pig loves playing in the 2x4 temporary enclosure all day!
I give him his water bottle, and I have been putting it in the first hol which is about 1.5" off of the ground.
I need a second or third opinion, how high should a water bottle be set in a cage? Is this too low?
Thanks in advance.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I put my water bottle on the 5th square of the grid about 6 inches from the bottom. To me it sounds like yours is to low. Mine is high enough the pigs can easily drink without bending over or stretching up much.

mollym

Cavy Slave
Same here - your's sounds too low, are they twisting there heads to get at it etc? If so, put it up a few squares and see how it goes.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
No, he does not twist his head to get at it.
I put it up to 4 and he was sort of standing up on his "tippey-toes".

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
No, he does not twist his head to get at it.
I put it up to 4 and he was sort of standing up on his "tippey-toes".

Are they the cubes in the greenish and white box from target? Because if they are then the water bottle should sit fine at,atleast 5 grids. One square and even my smallest pig couldn't drink out of it without tilting her head, shes less than 2lbs and pretty small and short and doesn't stand on her hind legs to drink.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
A water bottle should be placed where the pig can access it easily without bending/twisting their head down to drink and without having to reach up to get a drink. It should be at their mouth level.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
No I don't have those grids. I have the ones from Bed Bath & Beyond. Each hole is 1.5" square.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
No I don't have those grids. I have the ones from Bed Bath & Beyond. Each hole is 1.5" square.

The grids I have are from target and the spacing is 1.5in also. And like I said mine is high enough not to let the pigs stretch or tilt.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I'd just experiment to see where works best. If the water bottle is a pain in the tushie to move around(like if it drips alot when jostled), then empty it, find the right spot, mark it somehow so you remember it, and then fill the bottle and replace it in the new spot. ;)

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I put it up to two and it seems a little better. I tried three and he was still stretching up to get it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.