Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I need Ivermetcin help!

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
I am need of medication for mites on all four of my guys. I don't know how it happened I think I missed it from my newest guy and he when introductions where done it was past on to them. I don't know how I missed it but I did. Any how I need information on meds.

Which is the easiest and best to buy, meaning what work well for you...

Also I have 4 who need it so how much would I need to buy?

I have some links of medication I am looking into to buying but before I make a decision i need you guys to tell me if it is good or bad. So thanks for reading and thanks for helping in advance!

here are the links

https://cgi.ebay.com/horse-wormer-bulk-7-boxes-with-ivermectin-boticide-lot_W0QQitemZ260210180260QQihZ016QQcategoryZ98838QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (horse wormer bulk 7 boxes with ivermectin boticide lot - eBay (item 260210180260 end time Feb-12-08 14:44:20 PST))

https://cgi.ebay.com/BIMECTIN-Ivermectin-Horse-Paste-Wormer-Boticide_W0QQitemZ140206094379QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98838QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (BIMECTIN Ivermectin Horse Paste Wormer Boticide - eBay (item 140206094379 end time Feb-16-08 19:50:25 PST))

https://cgi.ebay.com/4-Ivermectin-horse-wormer-4-tubes-for-4-horses-tack_W0QQitemZ320217070637QQihZ011QQcategoryZ98838QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (4 Ivermectin horse wormer 4 tubes for 4 horses tack - eBay (item 320217070637 end time Feb-13-08 19:12:31 PST))

I personally use the injectable ivermectin - it's marketed for pigs I believe. I bought it at a local feed store. It cost me about $35 but it was enough medicine to dose thousands of pigs!!! It only takes a little behind each ear.

You need an accurate weight for your piggies and a proper syringe to dose it correctly. You have to be very careful not to overdose. You need to do the treatment at least 3-4 times about a week apart. Really bad cases can take more treatments. You need a syringe with a needle to be able to pull the ivermectin out of the bottle, but then you remove the needle when dosing it.

Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Topical Treatment
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - I cannot believe I missed this

If you really want to dose orally, I can't give you any advice on that since I've never done it, but here is a link: Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin Oral Treatment

Whatever you end up using, make sure that ivermectin is the ONLY medicine in there. Also, if you are in any doubt as to how much to give, make sure to see your vet for help.

Good luck!

I also use the kind for swine. It ends up being just a tiny drop behind each ear. For 2 of my pigs it is .055 cc based on their weight. Here is a link to the (broken link removed). Get a good weight on your pig. You will need a needle to get the ivomec out of the bottle but you don't use it on the pig.

Last edited:
How do you get a needle without a prescription? I have wanted to use the injectable but thought the needle would be an issue so have always used the oral.

They should have them at the feed store or wherever you get your ivermectin and syringe. They usually run around $.50. When I got my ivermectin I forgot to get the syringe/needle and had to go back and get one. Or check with your vet.

Let me know if you have trouble getting it.

Okay, will do. Visiting the feed store this weekend. Thanks.

I had to order my syringes from Ebay. I just did a search for 1cc.
I am going to use a 1.87% horse paste/ diluted per guinea lynx.

So with the GL links you guys gave me how do you read the calculator because I don't see anything on diluting it in the pour-on one. Do you have to dilute for all of them?

Would my local "Tractor Supply Plus" have the medication?

Also any suggestions on the first links I gave?

I have had to do several medical dosing and such related things (on humans) at med school so I am not weary of doing it I just don't want to make a mistake. So syringe does not actually touch the little guys, good to know! Any more information or confessionals on what worked best for you will really help me!! Thank you for all of the replies so far!!! It is a great help!

You don't dilute the Iver-On Pour-On. It can be used straight out of the bottle (which has an open top, so you don't even need a needle to draw it out).

You can call your Tractor Supply Plus to find out if they have it.

I'm not familiar with any of the products in your links, so I can't comment on them. We've used the pour-on from day one and have just stuck with it because it's so easy, and uncomplicated, to use.

That sounds like what I will be using then. No pressure just apply. DO you wear gloves when you put iver-on pour-on on them? Do you rub it in at all? If all this is in GL just tell me I can jump over there and look I just am not familiar with GL so that is why all the questions. Maybe I should just jump over there and take a look and get involved in it more. I have looked for answers on there a few times but haven't really been on there website.

I will stop by my Tractor Supply Plus and see what they if they have any at all.

Thank you Wheek Weak!

You're welcome, honey.

Yes, I do use rubber gloves when applying it. The reason for that is because the medication can absorb into your skin also. It won't hurt you, but the piggy won't get the full dose.

I just cut one finger off of a rubber glove, put it on my index or middle finger, and use it to rub the ivermectin into the bald area behind the ear for about 5 or 6 seconds (alternate ears for each treatment).

You'll want to get several syringes. We buy ours at our local drug store. We just ask for needle-less, 1cc (or 1mL) syringes. We get extras because the ivermectin tends to swell the black rubber piece, that's inside the syringe, making it very difficult (after a few uses) to pull or push the plunger. The oil in the medication also tends to wear the dosage lines and numbers off the outside of the syringe (avoid rubbing it).

Hope this helps. Good luck with getting those piggies more comfy soon!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.