Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie asking..

GuineaFiveOHH

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

My question is.... my last pet (tarantula) was spoiled in that I purchased a 30 gallon breeder tank (glass). It has the following measurements; 36"(L) x 13.5"(H) x 18"(D). This tank was custom built in that it has two heating pads attached to the bottom of the tank, in the event it gets too cold.

Can I use this tank to house two GPs?

Thanks,
Bill

socal805

Cavy Slave
I don't mean to be rude but no! absolutely not, don't even house 1 guinea in that aquarium! Tanks and aquariums do not provide sufficient ventilation for a GP. Tanks are just horrible for pigs. Also the front page of this site states that 30" x 50" is the minimum space required for 2 pigs, this measurement is taken from the inside, most store bought cages and aquariums measure the outer dimensions. With guinea pigs the bigger the better. If you haven't done so already please take a look at the wonderful pictures of cages on this site and take the time to read through the threads in the different sections of the forum. Feel free to ask questions!

Feylin

Cavy Slave
Nope! Glass of any size is not acceptable because it prevents ventilation. You need air flow to come in all the sides and the top. Also, the heating pads are not really necessary for guinea pigs. If you keep your house around 70F, the guinea pigs will be just fine.

That sounds like a great home for a smallish reptile though!

GuineaFiveOHH

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the responses. I did a search, but it was limited on glass type cages and aquariums. I had the breeder cage custom built, that is why I was asking. Thought I could use it. Not a big deal...will have to make another custom cage for the new pets.

Bill

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
It is so much fun looking at what others have built with their cubes and coroplast cages. My boys had never popcorned before, I didn't even know they could. But when we put them in our first c&c cage they were popcorning immediately! Since you are going to be building a cage I would personally recommend using fleece bedding. There are several links on this site telling about it. Mine love it so much over pine or aspen bedding. Good luck with what you build, and we'd love to see pictures!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
NO!!! This is not only not even the standards for ONE, BUT IT HAS EXTREMELY POOR VENTILATION!!!!

It does not have much ventilation and smell will severly build up.

Think of it this way, would you like to have smell all of your droppings, and urine all of the time and have barely any new, fresh air coming in?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.