Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Help a Newbie! Adopted 3 new piggies - will this be big enough??

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks amazing! And the girls all look happy with their new digs! Amazing job, RubysMama!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You did a great job on the cage! You must be very pleased with your efforts, and your girls are apparently quite happy with their new home. Well done!

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
You did a great job on the cage! You must be very pleased with your efforts, and your girls are apparently quite happy with their new home. Well done!

Thanks! I'm happy with how it all turned out. The girls are getting along pretty well today - little Copper has started accepting pea flakes from my hand, the other two new girls are a bit shy still. Ruby is definitely ruling the roost and she seems very content. This morning, after their salad, Ruby groomed all three new girls and then she just flopped over in the middle of the cage and slept hard - eyes closed and all haha.

I'm glad the cage building is over, and we can go on with life lol

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like your piggie saga is just beginning. Great job on the cage, I'm sure the girls are going to love it. It seems as though Ruby is already queen of the herd and is quite comfortable in that role, even with the new additions. Sleeping with her eyes closed tells me she's pretty comfortable already!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Quick question........I notice that you made fleece tunnels rather than cozy sacks. What did you use to keep the tunnels open........interfacing or boning or both?

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
Quick question........I notice that you made fleece tunnels rather than cozy sacks. What did you use to keep the tunnels open........interfacing or boning or both?

I used a firm cotton batting. It works okay but I may play around with other ideas. Ruby is a big gal, so I need to make it wide enough for her, which makes them a bit floppy. The batting is great for a smaller diameter I think.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I used a firm cotton batting.

I generally have used boning around the entrance of my cozy sacks to hold them open. Only problem is that the boning is difficult to join at the seam. I'm thinking that I'm going to try extra stiff interfacing like that used in coats.

I really need to go on a sewing spree to make new cage accessories and liners as mine are at least five years old and becoming pretty ragged. I have all the necessary supplies but have been hesitating because I am considering making a closet shelving cage to maximize what little space I have. As it is, the boys' cage occupies about one-fourth of my small home office.

BTW, should you be interested, here is a link to making fleece forests posted by the original creator of such here on the Forum.
(broken link removed)

RubysMama

Cavy Slave
I generally have used boning around the entrance of my cozy sacks to hold them open. Only problem is that the boning is difficult to join at the seam. I'm thinking that I'm going to try extra stiff interfacing like that used in coats.

I really need to go on a sewing spree to make new cage accessories and liners as mine are at least five years old and becoming pretty ragged. I have all the necessary supplies but have been hesitating because I am considering making a closet shelving cage to maximize what little space I have. As it is, the boys' cage occupies about one-fourth of my small home office.

BTW, should you be interested, here is a link to making fleece forests posted by the original creator of such here on the Forum.
(broken link removed)

I am BRAND new to sewing, so I've been trying to stick to the simplest way possible to make things haha.
I will definitely check out that link - that's the next thing I need to make for my girls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.