Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A New Hello

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone. I believe I have got all the rules and other required readings taken care of. I have done a lot of searching through the forums, so as not to ask too many questions that have already been answered.

I am in Mississippi. On Saturday (three days ago) I got two 4-week-old black & white cavy brothers. These are the first I have ever owned. My family is enjoying them very much. I haven't settled on names yet.

The pigs are slowly warming up to me. I have been holding them quietly for an extended period (half an hour to 45 minutes) every evening so they get used to me. I am at work during the day, so unfortunately I can't carry them around in a sling all day. So far, they seem to prefer this quiet contact to floor-play. They are so utterly content to cuddle up under my chin. I'm sure they will be more active when they are more comfortable with me.

Good to meet y'all.

Dutch

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Nice to meet you! Good luck with your boys. :)

alerz

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! I hope you stick around and share pigtures very soon (it's kind of an unspoken requirement around here ;))!

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
Look for names on babynames.com ! It has letter, girl, boy, and orgin options. Welcome to the site!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
Yay, good for your babies you have done so much research when you got them! I bet they're already spoiled. We do require pigtures on this website or we will hound you! *wink*

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Re: A New Hello (updated with photo)

littlepig.jpg

Oh, I hope this picture is not too big. I don't remember reading guidelines on picture size.

This is one of the little guys. His brother is hiding in the log hut. I think he is Abyssinian. They have the rosettes, but their hair is very silky. I don't know for sure, but I read Abyssinians have coarse hair.

Dutch

guinealovee

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
He is so cute!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
:) Hello and welcome to the world of piggies.

I just got my first piggies in December and I am already addicted to them and this forum. Enjoy all of the information on here and don't hesitate to ask questions on anything that gets confusing! We all have!

I do believe your baby is an Abysinian (sp?)! I have one that looks just like him, and her fur is also very soft!

Good luck and happy spoiling!:D

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums!

Your little boy there is an abbysinian. I have a little girl much like him except she is brown and black. This is the latest photo I have of her (her christmas photo) https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25/kwazy_monkey_0521/Rosie-3.jpg . She is 6 months old and my youngest pig. I have had pigs since late April.

Where did you get your little boys from? If you got them from a petstore or a breeder I would highly recommend taking them to a exotic vet for an overall check up. Said places are notorious for selling sick animals.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Re: A New Hello (updated with photo)

I don't remember reading guidelines on picture size.

The only real guideline for pictures in threads is that they don't distort the size of the thread. If the picture is too large and you have to scroll side-to-side to see the whole thing a mod will convert it to a link.

He sure is a cutie. Can't wait to see the other one that is hiding.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Pigsforlife, your Rosie is CUTE!

I got my pigs from a local girl on Freecycle. She bought a pair of pigs (from I-don't-know-where) several weeks ago and found herself with 8 pigs not long after she got them!

I haven't taken them to a vet yet, but I know it's important. It's hard to justify taking time off work for that. (Don't you find that to be the case?) :rolleyes: Obviously, I would take them if they showed any signs of illness. But I have a very good friend who is a vet tech who is going to check them out for me this weekend. We used to work together. I trust her.

They are beguiling little creatures, aren't they? I find myself at work pining to go home to them. The weekend is but two more days away!

Dutch

P. S. I completely agree about the picture size. It's so disorienting when you have to scroll all over the place to read a post.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
He is too cute! I have 3 with that type coat and I love petting them. Rosie is a little doll too! Have fun with your new babies. I count down to when I get off work to play with mine too. I took too long getting them out of their cage tonight and they were wheeking their heads off at me to let me know I was late.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Ahh. I could not resist. More pictures.
Sprite6.jpg

They are in a storage tote. Obviously, they don't live in there. It is a handy place to put them while I am cleaning out their cage. (And if I want to wrangle them into a smaller place to facilitate picture taking. Haha!)
Sprite5.jpg

Here, they are cuddled together in a popcorn box.
How appropriate! (Sorry it is fuzzy. There was something on my lens)

Dutch

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.