Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Plastic on the sides

dustyfro

Cavy Slave
How important is it to have the 6 or so inches of plastic on the sides of a C&C cage? I'm in the process of building my cage before I get my guinea pigs, and I found some stuff at a recycle store that is not Coroplast. It is much thicker and not as flexible, and I was only able to find enough to put on the floor of the cage. I have a fleece blanket and I thought maybe I could pull up the sides of that to the proper height and tie it to the cage to prevent the pigs from chewing on the metal bars. Will this be ok, or should I look for something else to put along the sides of the cage?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Its not very important, its jus to keep the bedding (if you use shavings) and poops in. I dont use coroplast on much of my cage and have no problems with it.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
It is more for cleaning purposes, but make sure if you have young piggies they can not get through the bars. I have 10 in. cardboard all the way around my cage so my babies can't get out!

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Mainly the coroplast sides are to help prevent any pee that gets on the bottom of the cage from rolling off onto whatever you have the cage on top of. If you are using lots of absorbent material under your fleece, you probably don't have to worry about that. For those using regular bedding (shavings, carefresh, etc.) the leaking pee would be more of a concern. If you are concerned about the surface under your cage, you could put a large tarp or shower curtain under the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.