Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New cavy house with alternative bedding question

amazon819

Cavy Slave
Hello All!

Being new to piggidom I'm looking for some information. I've noticed in a lot of the pigtures that people often have fabric/fleece/carpet down in the cages.

How does this work? Do the piggies still use it as a potty? My piggies tend to urinate in one corner, but they poo everywhere.

How does the cleaning go? Do you just shake it out, wash it and put it back?

Does it control odor like other bedding does?

I like the idea because the loose bedding gets everywhere.

sorry for all the questions! 😊

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
You can spot clean, with a hand vacuume, and pick up all the poos that way. The fleece wicks the urine down to the absorbent layer (which can be mattress pads, puppy pads, towles etc. And you wash the fleece and the absorbent layer (unless its puppy pads) once a week. Here check out this thread about fleece.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

LucyJane

Cavy Slave
Here's how my setup works: I have a layer of fleece over two layers of thick old mattress pads. (Other people have layers of towels, puppy pads, newspaper, or some combination of the above as their underlayer.) Wash and dry new fleece 3-4 times with no fabric softener before you use it. This will kill the water repelling quality of the fleece. The fleece will wick the peepee down into the underlayer, and the top of the fleece will stay dry.

I have litter pans with carefresh/shreaded paper in the areas that they frequently go, such as in the kitchen, and under the water bottles and hayrack.

I vacuum poops off of the fleece daily, and change the litter pans as needed, usually every 2 - 3 days. I wash the fleece and underlayers weekly. To wash the fleece, I vacuum it still in the cage, then unclip it and give it a good shake out the back door. Some people have luck with a brush designed for pet hair. Then, I just wash fleece and underlayers on warm with regular detergent (no fabric softener) and a 1/2 cup of vinegar directly into the wash water, and another 1/2 cup of vinegar into the fabric softener dispenser. An extra rinse cycle keeps any stray fur out of the washer.

It sounds like a lot of work, but honestly I like it so much better than carefresh, which I was changing all the time ($$$$$!). Also, I don't smell any odor with fleece, but the carefresh got stinky so fast.

Good luck!!

amazon819

Cavy Slave
Thank you Guineapiglover1 and LucyJane!
That's just what I needed!

Fabric store here i come! Gonna have the most stylish piggies on the block...

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Your welcome. :)

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I just switched to fleece about 3-4 weeks ago. It is the greatest thing ever. There is no smell and I usually take the fleece out 2 times a week to wash it and the towels underneath. I have waited closer to a week to change before and there was no smell. Just get up the poopies daily and they'll love it. My oldest boy did his first popcorn after I changed to fleece. I think yours will love it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.