Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

to those that don't use bedding at all..

tuggles

Cavy Slave
what do you use, how often do you clean, etc..

tips please? I'm looking to save money!

amy

tuggles said:
what do you use, how often do you clean, etc..

tips please? I'm looking to save money!

amy
Hi Amy!

I use a couple of layers of newspaper, with hay on top of that (I know that technically the hay is bedding, but it's also a big part of their diet too).

For their toilet, I use plastic seed trays (about 14"x10") from my local garden center. There are 2 trays, both the same size as each other, the only difference is that one has small drainage holes (this one gets placed inside the other, which has no holes). This allows all their wee to drain into the bottom tray, and the poo stays in the top tray.

Hope that helps.

:)

Hey, that potty place idea is great.. now if I can just find hay....

Fleece and towels are great. You'd have to change the hay often, as it molds, isn't all that absorbant, and the pigs also want to eat it.

Hay to eat, not for bedding. I know about that:D thanks though!

mncavylover said:
Fleece and towels are great. You'd have to change the hay often, as it molds, isn't all that absorbant, and the pigs also want to eat it.
That's why I've found the plastic trays so useful-the piggies will go to the toilet in other areas of their cage, but for the most part they use the trays. When I put hay in for them to eat they drag it about to make a floor/beds for themselves, so it's just a case of letting them do it, they can eat what they want and then the next day or so you just fold it all up in the newspaper, chuck it, wipe the cage out with those anti-bacterial wipes you can get from supermarkets, and replace the lot-takes a couple of minutes. :)

I don't have C&C cages, but rather wooden hutches. I stapled pond liner to the floor to stop urine from soaking into the wood (which seems to work ok, and makes wiping it out easier), and the plastic trays get emptied down the toilet and sprayed with kitchen surface cleaner, left for about 10 minutes and then thoroughly rinsed off under the shower-any 'sticky deposits' left behind just get wiped out with toilet roll.

Oh, sorry. I thought that you meant it as bedding, seeing as the title is about that. Sorry!

I'd really recommend a c and c cage anyhow, but it sounds like it should be ok.

mncavylover said:
Oh, sorry. I thought that you meant it as bedding, seeing as the title is about that. Sorry!

I'd really recommend a c and c cage anyhow, but it sounds like it should be ok.
Sorry, I realise that I didn't make it that clear! Yeah, so what I meant to say (to clear things up!) is that I put hay in for them to eat, but seeing as how they like to use it as bedding as well, I put in quite a bit more than they need. It's worth it just to watch them hide themselves under it all-they look like little commandoes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.