Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petstore cage as qurantine cage

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Right now I'm in the middle of plans and getting on with my C&C cage.
I have two petstore cages right now one is the Nero 3 Deluxe cage and the other is the "bigger" Nero 4 Deluxe. I have two female together, and one lone male (rescue un-neutered 6 years old).

Once I have done the C&C cages I want to get my lone male a companion, another male. However my male is highly dominant and will go for us and click his teeth if he aint happy, so I'm worried after a lifetime of being alone he won't take to a new friend. So I'm going to get ethier a very docile male that has been neutered by the rescue, or a young boar from an unwanted litter at the rescue who I can have neutered.

I'll do this because my male is very old and when he does pass :)weepy:) I don't want to be left in the same situation, and I will put the existing male in with the girls - or if he doesnt take I can do this although I know it is 8 weeks until he can be with girls. Of course there is qurantine too before he even see's any of my pigs, so I was wondering which cage to keep as a qurantine cage and which to give to a local rescue (probably the one I adopt from).

I was thinking of just keeping the Deluxe 3 since it would only be used if there was a sick pig, one in qurantine for a week or so, or any injuries/operations...so they wouldnt want to move around much anyway. Also I dont have much storage space and I'm sure the Deluxe 4 could do a rescue better use, but if people think it would be better to keep the bigger one as a qurantine I'd like to know as I'm not sure which to keep!

Thanks

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I would donate the Deluxe 4 to a rescue which can put it to use easily and keep the 3 for quarentine and sick pigs, if a pig is sick I am sure it wouldn't use the extra space anyway, like it would be running about! And for quarentining, all the better when the pig is used to a pet store cage and then discovers a C&C I can't imagine any arguing on the little ones part. By the way, I would go with a young already neutered boar if youcan find one. If he is young he can be influenced with his behavior and will only have to go through quarentine.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
or if he doesnt take I can do this although I know it is 8 weeks until he can be with girls.
Why 8 weeks? It would be 3 weeks of quarantine, or 3 weeks after he is neutered till he can be with them.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I meant four, I have no idea why I put eight. (I leave it 4 not 3 weeks before letting them in with the girls). I'm not even sure about getting another male at the moment anyway since he seems to be "okay" on his own. Also his C&C cage will be really close to the girls. Today i put a teddy in with the girls so it smells of them and I will give it to him tonight.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. I tend to be a nervous nelly about such things myself and waited 4 weeks before introducing Percy to his women after he was neutered.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
Well, if you are going to get a male for your male he will have to be quarentined anyway at the begining. So once you get him in with your male, and he passes, you won't need to quarentine again right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.