Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Rembrandt and Old Bean

Laurenmae

Cavy Slave
Hello. I just ordered my first C&C cage and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I'm sad to say my pigs are currently in store bought cages, but I did get the largest cages I could find. Each pig has 3.5 square feet, so, not enough - that's why I'm glad I found a way to upgrade. I can't wait to see how much fun they have in their new cage. They love floor time and going outside on nice days. Also I originally had them in separate cages assuming they would not get along, but they did splendidly with introductions and now they get jealous when I'm holding one and not the other.

Rembrandt is my brown and red aby. He's probably about 3 years old and he loves to be cuddled. Old Bean is the baby, despite his name (Which my husband gave him, I usually call him Bean). He's just over one year and I've known him since his birth.

When I got Rembrandt, I was living with four of my friends. One had purchased three female guineas and wanted to get Rem too because of his cute brown nose, but he didn't have enough room for two cages to keep the boy separate from the girls, so he took me to the store, knowing I'd love him and of course I fell in love. I know now not to buy guinea pigs from pet stores - I'm horrified of the way they treat animals, but at the time I was naive, and now I know better. All four of our guineas had respiratory infections when we first brought them home, so they all had to go to the vet and get antibiotics. Never buy guineas from a store!!

This is Rem when I first got him, and his favorite playmate Lady Ava - we made sure they did not mate!! The three ladies and Rem would all chase each other around the bathroom floor while my friend and I watched.

When I moved in with my husband I did some research and discovered that my cage was too small, Rem needed a new friend to live with and there were lots of homeless pigs. A lot has changed since I was a kid and my family had guinea pigs. I upgraded Rem's cage and on craigslist I found that someone who lives down the street from us had an accidental pig pregnancy and desperately needed a cage to separate her pigs. I offered the old cage (as a temporary solution) in exchange for a baby pig. Right after, I found another sturdy 3.5 sq ft cage at a flea market for $5! I took baby Old Bean home at around 3 weeks old, as soon as we had decided he was definitely male and ready to eat on his own, and let my husband name him in an attempt to get him to warm up to the piggies. My friends all said Bean looked like Donald Trump as a baby because of his silly brown crest.

Baby Old Bean

When I introduced Rem & Bean I was nervous... I kept Bean quarantined for a few weeks so he could get comfortable. Their first introduction had me shaken because I heard all the rumbles and saw them mounting, but they did not chatter or bear their teeth. When I introduced them again a few weeks later, they cuddled and made happy delicate talking sounds. Now they still mount and rumble once in a while to try and establish dominance, but they are always happy to be together. I love how different they are. Rem is a voracious eater but rarely makes loud noise - he has an "indoor voice". Bean is more private and shy and doesn't seem to love being pet as much, but he wheets loud and crazy when he hears me coming.

Introducing Rembrandt and Old Bean

Rembrandt & Bean relaxing in the shade 06/2007

I look forward to posting pictures of their new cage.

Welcome to the group Lauren,

Your piggers are absolutely adorable, I'm sure they will LOVE their new cage. I bought my first pig from a pet store as well, then I found this site, and the nasty truth about pet stores. I'm so glad I did. My second and third guinea pig's were both rescues.

Old Bean definitely has a Donald Trump "do", he is so adorable.

Did you order a cage from Sue at C&C cages? She is great, and I have purchased from her in the past.

Let us know how they like the new cage, and enjoy the forum.

Lauren, welcome. Your little boys are precious and Bean is a perfect name. The cage is going to be a blast to put together, but it probably won't remain the same for long. They are easy and fun to change, rearrange and innovate. This site is a treasure trove of ideas. I, too, had my boys in a store bought cage, but then I "saw the light". Actually, I found this web site. Since then, life hasn't been the same for my boys. Their hay, food and housing have all been greatly upgraded and they are fat and sassy. Enjoy!

Welcome, I know you`ll love it here and your piggies will love you for finding this site. All four of my piggies where from a petstore, all had mites, one a URI, and one an ear infection. Sadly I lost two in less then a year and we miss them everyday. Two are doing well and I`ll never get animals at a pet store again. I have learned so much here, and learn more everyday.

Thank you for your comments. The C&C cage arrived this afternoon and I spent the whole rest of the day getting it ready for them. I spent $88 on the cage, $30 on a giant package of extra grids, $20 on fleece, $30 on mattress pads, and about $50 on new toys, houses and other goodies for the new abode. Their old "woodland getaway" houses were pee-stained and chewed, they had them since last Christmas so I figured they deserved better hideaways.

Follow this link to my flickr guinea pig set to see the new cage!!

I have two of almost everything, so they won't have to fight over anything. The rainbow colored toy is a bird toy - it seems guinea pig safe though. I am going to try the litter tray, but I had already tried this to no avail. Maybe they'll want to keep their beautiful new fleece home looking nice so they'll learn to poop in there. One can only hope. There was only one big cozy at the store, so I made a "bunk bed" of bent grid and "ultra-snuggle fleece" - seriously it is so unbearably soft. So far Bean likes to go inside, and Rem likes to play with the bits of fleece that hang over the edges.

@ luvmyboyz - so sorry to hear about your petstore piggies. I never shop at pet stores any more, just pet supplies (one that is locally owned and a Pet Supply Plus). But I do still get groceries at Meijer and whenever I see their guinea pigs I want to cry. They always look sweaty and uncomfortable.

@Toadies - You're totally right. I bought another bundle of crates so I could add a kitchen to the top and I'm already thinking of how to expand that second floor! I love that your pigs are fat and sassy!!!

@LonePig - Yes I got my cage from this site - I figured I'd start with the expert and try to add on to it myself. I found a small amount of coroplast for the kitchen but it was frustrating to cut so I'm glad I could just have that part done and shipped to me.

Welcome to the forum! Your boys are just too cute and I love their new cage! I am guessing that they love the new cage too! They are really lucky little guys. By the way, I really like the fleece you bought, where did you find it?

Thanks - I love the fleece too - it looked like something I'd want on my floor. I got it from Joanne Fabrics. All their anti-pill fleece was on sale for $5/yard. The plain red is called "ultra snuggle" fleece and it is the softest thing I have ever felt - but it's $13/yard and the prints were very limited.

I think I'll run to Joanns tomorrow, I've got a 40% off coupon. The fleece I have been using is nice but I like to change things up every time I clean the cage.
That pic of Baby Old bean is really the cutest! He does have the Trump hairdo! lol

The cage is wonderful, I love the bent grid idea.

Absolutely gorgeous piggers! Baby Bean is too cute! I bet they're loving their new cage as much as you are. And welcome to the forum...I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here.

Well, Rem and Bean are quite happy with the new digs. They squabble a little when I'm around, but as soon as I step back and watch from afar they chit-chat and explore and cuddle. It's cute - like they put on the dominance show just for me, but when I leave they're best buds. Also I've already noticed Rem doing something I've never seen before - he'll stand up on his back legs and look around. He doesn't use the cage to support him, he just stands right up! I've never seen either of them do this - is this normal or is he just a silly pig?

My pigs all do that standing up thing. We call it "Prairie doging" for obvious reasons!

It's so cute! Mine do it to look above the edge of the cage, to see if they can climb over something, and sometimes just randomly. If you hold a veggie up where they can almost reach they'll do it too.

It's awesome.

Mine do the standing up thing too..it's the cutest thing! Usually their noses are high in the air and they are sniffing around while they are up on their back legs. It's almost like they are saying " I know I smell veggies out there"

Mine stand up like that too...Twizzler more than Oliver...mostly they'll do it for fresh veggies that are just out of reach in a "normal" pig stance.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.