Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ramp help

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've never made a C&C cage before so I literally need an idiots guide with this! My cage is going to have two storys both 2x7 and a third section thats 2x3 and I need to know about doign ramps safely (main priority). I am not DIY handy at all so I cant make wood ones, I like the idea of the cubes bent to make them, but how do you connect these to the bases etc I really need a specific guide lol and also what is best used for the base? and how do you attach this?
I've read through the latest posts on this and still didnt understand, thats why I'm posting it again, I wasnt lazy lol

Thanks x:heart:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Use cable ties or zip ties to attach the ramp to the floor above. These create a kind of 'hinge' which means that during clean-outs, you can raise the ramp to access the tricky-to-reach spots under them. If you can't get hold of these ties, you can use wire or even string (temprarily) to hold the ramp in position.

The base of the typical c&c cage is made from coroplast - exactly linke plastic corrugated cardboard. If you meant the base for the cage to go on, rather than what the base of the cage is made from, then often people use tables - my cage is on hardboard sheets which are on coasters, but you can just put your cage on the floor, so long as it is away from draughts.

Hope this helped, but do ask if you have other/more specific questions!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
What JarBax said =) Good luck making the ramp, be sure to show us some pigtures when you are done..

Oh, and I can't help but comment... They really really need a 'Building a C&C cage for dummies' book. That would be awesome. I know a lot of people who probably buy it, I might just write to the manufactuer..Hm.

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply but thats helped alot. For the base I meant on the ramp, so should I use coroplast on the ramp too?

Thanks again! Your all very friendly here :] xx

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Coro is great to add on but if you use it, make sure you add some sort of material over it for traction; pigs can't go up and down on the coro alone, its too slippery.

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
I used fiddlesticks for a ramp for my pigs. All I had to do to it was use cable ties to attach it. It didn't require any building, looks good and the pigs seem to like it.

AnimalFarm2006

Cavy Slave
Hey Do you think you could make a ramp with pop cycle railings? I've always been afraid of my guineas falling and found the cubs to sag.

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
I just added a second level to my cage and made a ramp for it.

The ramp is 36 inches long (8 inches wide). At first I made a base layer of coroplast with 2 additional layers for reinforcement. I thought it would be sturdy enough, but it 'bounced' when the piggies walked on it.

I didn't think adding more layers would work either, so we went to a woodworker who cut us a 1/2 inch piece of plywood.

This plank of plywood lies on the coroplast base that folds up on the sides for a barrier. I now think the barrier should have been higher, but the piggies seem to keep within the boundaries well.

You can see some photos of the work process here that might give you an idea:

(broken link removed)

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I think I have an idea on how I will make mine now :]

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Thanks, that helped alot I had added it to my favourites :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.