Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exciting News In My World

clotho

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I just had to share what's going on with me.

Ever since I lost my little Zoro, I have been half-heartedly browsing through adoptables - seeing cute piggies - and talking myself out of taking in another one - after all, I still have 7 guinea pigs.

Then yesterday morning I just happened to go onto guinea lynx and clicked on their cavy placement link. The subject line that met my eyes was "Garbage pigs in Hamilton." I was disgusted and very angry to read that someone had dumped 7 guinea pigs in a plastic garbage bag outside a dumpster!! Someone found them and they were at animal control and were in danger of being euthanized if homes were not found quickly.

I knew right away I had to do something to help. When I saw the pictures, I fell in love with Sadie. I contacted the rescue and started the process to adopt Sadie. I also indicated that I could help out with fostering. There were four females and all of them were quite possibly pregnant. Now it seems perhaps that Sadie lost her babies (one female aborted 3 babies, but we're not positive which one it was). There is still a chance that she is pregnant though.

As far as I know, all the piggies who were dumped have found foster homes except for one. One female gave birth to two babies last night.

I was also offered the opportunity to foster Tootsie, and I agreed. I will also foster any babies until homes can be found.

I am so excited!!! The rescue will be bringing them to me tomorrow night and I can't wait!! I had enough leftover coroplast lying around that I was able to put together a 2x4 cage for quarantine. I am in the process now of getting the cage all together and set up in my dining room.

Tomorrow I will have two gorgeous piggies here to love!! Plus, the possibility of babies in the near future.

Awesome! I am very happy for you, you deserve it. a 2x4 quarantine cage is very impressive.

Wow clotho, while being appauled at the dreadful place these piggies found themselves , I am really excited for you too! It is great that you are offering these pigs a good home, they need a lucky break!

All the best with getting the girls settled. Can we see pics please?

That's great news! I am working with Guinea Pigs R Us resuce to adopt another pig, and she metnioned to me about the Hamilton story, it's just terrible! But on another note, good thing the piggies are all in good hands now ; )

I may end up getting a baby from you at some time, if I decided to go that route and wait... BUt I think I may be going with one of the males currently in foster, of course he will be neutered first!

Congrats! Best of luck with the lil ones.

Wow that's great dalilahsmom! Congrats on adopting a new piggie! We have no idea yet whether either of the girls I am getting are pregnant, but I'll let everyone know when I know. I will absolutely post pics as soon as I can. I have 24 hours to go before they get here!!

Actually if you look at the thread on guinealynx for Garbage pigs Hamilton, there are pics of all the piggies who were dumped.

I have the 2x4 built and in my dining room - now I just need piggies!!!! I can't wait!!!

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations on the new additions! I looked at the link and those piggies are gorgeous, it boggles my mind how someone could abandon the poor things in a garbage bin of all places. I mean, can't people at least have the decency to take them to a shelter? Fortunately, they've gone from down on their luck to the luckiest piggies in the world to end up with you! Can't wait to see pigtures!

That is winderful news. What an awesome thing you are doing!! Of course, pigtures will be required!!

It is wonderful to hear that you will be helping!

Thats great news!!

I went to guinealynx to see that ad and saw the ratties and fell in love. I asked if they were still available and they are. The lady at the rescue is sending me an application for the adoption. I wish I could adopted one of the pigs but I have a full boat here. There has to be a way I can fit one more piggie, think, think........

Piggersrule that is amazing that you are taking in the rats!!! I'm so glad they've found a great home.

I just received word that the lady at the shelter is almost 100% certain Sadie is not pregnant, but also almost 100% certain that Tootsie is pregnant. Apparently Sadie weighs 700 grams and Tootsie weighs 925 grams!!! I believe Tootsie is younger than Sadie. Whatever happens, this is going to be a wild ride and tonight I'll have two wonderful piggies here!!!

I now know how you all felt waiting for your adoption to clear and to be able to pick up your piggies finally!!! Today is going soooo slow!!! Luckily I have a lot to do to get ready for their arrival. I'm so glad I made the sides of the quarantine cage extra high just in case!!

Very cool that you are helping these pigs! If it is certain that Tootsie is pregnant and Sadie isn't, you can leave them together in quarantine. Having an extra auntie pig could be very helpful.

Don't forget we DEMAND pigtures!

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pigutres. I saw that post on guinealynx as well and it made me so upset. I am glad they will never have to be in a situation like that again. Looks like they found a good foster momma who will make sure all their needs are met!

Here is a picture of the quarantine cage I built. I just finished getting it all set up and ready for the girls!

I am definately planning on having Sadie and Tootsie together for quarantine.

3 1/2 or so hours to go!!!! LOL

I just got the approval for adopting the two girl ratties, whoohoo.....yes!!! Now all we need to do is figure out how to transport them closer to me.

Clotho, I am so happy for you and the piggies. They sure are lucky to have found a mom like you. That is a great cage you have set up for them. I sure they will be as happy as pie in there. I will pm you soon.

Fabulous quarentine cage clotho - absolutely brilliant! And I am absolutely thrilled for you too Piggers!!! New pets arriving is such an exciting time - just the best! :cheerful:

I hope you don't mine if I post the link to the gl thread here - it took me a wee while to find it! Sadie looks like a very special pig - I can see why you wanted her! If I'd have been closer, the race to get her would've been on! She has a very expressive little face, and looks like she will be full of character! Tootsie reminds me somewhat of my Emm, who is herself full of life!

Well, you must be almost frantic, as by my clock you will have only about 2 hours to go. What on earth are you going to do with yourself? I reckon actually, that could be just about enough time to sew your new pigs a cosy each - or what about a hammock, or even a whole knitted pig!

When are you hoping to adopt the ratties Piggers?

Can't wait to hear how all the new arrivals settle in - and of course, eagerly await pigtures! WooHoo!

Thanks guys - I appreciate all the warm comments!! I couldn't share this with my friends - they wouldn't let me hear the end of it if they knew I was taking in ANOTHER piggie!!! LOL You guys are the only ones who truly understand how it feels to take in an abused/neglected/dumped piggie and give it a good home!!!

I am dying here - 45 min or so to go....assuming she doesn't get stuck in traffic LOL. I'm just so excited I can't sit still.

Congrats on the new addition. I would love to foster piggies let alone have 7. My parents still think that getting a second one is a bad idea. Anyway have fun with all of those piggies its so great that you can help them like that.

My babies are here!!!!! They are gorgeous!!!! Tootsie has to be pregnant - just looking at her you can tell. I haven't had a chance to check her out yet - they are both way too scared right now - but from looking at her I'd guess around 6 weeks perhaps. It's a toss up whether the babies will be born in the quarantine cage or after I introduce the girls in with my existing herd.

Piggersrule I saw your ratties!!!! they are sooooooo sweet!!!! I got to pet them a little. You are SO lucky!! I didn't realize rats could be so cute!!! She brought them in while visiting with me. I told her I was going to post right away to you that I'd seen them neener neener ;)

It would be awesome if we can arrange to meet when you pick up the rats. It was SO nice to meet someone who's just as "crazy" about guinea pigs as I am. We talked for like 3 hours - she just left LOL!!

The girlies have hair loss - definately mites - didn't see any lice. They have had one ivermectin treatment and next week I have revolution to give them. The poor things are SO scared. They bolt at every noise. I just fed them and they didn't come out at all - just hiding in their houses. However, I turned the lights out and we are leaving them be - so I hope they will come out and eat when they feel a bit safer. I have heard a couple whistles from back there though so that's a start.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.