Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Helping someone in a Wheel Chair?

Ragous

Cavy Slave
I just recently looked into an add for the adoption of two female cavys, and the reason behind needing to re-home was that the woman is in a wheel chair and it is over whelming her with the care of her girls.

She cares a great deal about her guinea pigs, feeds vegies everyday and gives un-limited amounts of hay. I can not say a single bad thing.....but I believe she is using a standard store sized cage.

I have just contacted her about helping her set up a C&C cage to make things easier on her and her boyfriend. So my questions here today is for a little help in designing the perfect cage that is easily worked around with her having a wheel chair. She only has the two girls so I was thinking of a single story 2X3....she can always add on to the cage if she feels comfortable to do so. I would like to see a stand that she can fit right under and a front that opens all way.

I would really like to see this woman keep her girls.

Any suggestions?
Ragous

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, I think what you suggested what good. First I would talk to her liek you did about your plans and such and see if that is something she wants to do. Having it on a stand jst so the wheelchair can fit perfectly under the cage would be a brilliant idea. Maybe and with the harder stuff say cleaning the cage maybe the boyfriend can help her out and such.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
What you said sounds perfect... Except it really needs to be a 2x4. I have two girls, and I know if they were stuck in a 2x3 they would go nuts..

Another suggestion is maybe you can make the cage a stand on wheels? It would be easier for her to get to all sides of the cage that way.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
What type of bedding does she use? I think cage cleaning is much simpler when you have fleece. She could use a vacuum with a long extension to clean the cage daily without having to move around at all. When she needs to wash the cage, she can just pull out the fleece and put down a new set. Using either towels or mattress pads (my favorite) sewn to the fleece would make the cleaning a lot easier, and if necessary another waterproof layer can be added on the bottom. Something like rubber-backed flannel is absorbent on one side and waterproof on the other, so it could be sewn directly to the fleece and the whole thing could be put in the wash, completely eliminating the need to scoop out messy bedding or scrub the coroplast with vinegar. The layers sewn together would be quite thick and would be very easy to arrange, as opposed to towels on their own under the fleece.

While I can understand why a smaller cage seems like the easiest option to start, I would argue that a 2x4 would be a better starter cage simply because you don't have to clean it quite as often. Since the width is the same in either case, the cage would be just as accessible.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I'm gonna back the 2x4. 1 extra grid in length is not going to add that much difficulty to reach and cage cleaning but may lessen the need for frequent cleaning by alot.

Cage cleaning was the problem I saw. Someone in a wheel chair can't reach all the way across a normal 2 grid wide cage. While they can still interact with the pigs(picking up might be difficult) cleaning seems near impossible with regular bedding. Maybe if they could access the cage from all sides but it would still be very time consuming. Fleece might be the only option unless someone else cleans the cage. Also with fleece the coroplast can be made shorter to avoid having to reach over it.

2nd problem is if you make the front flip down it will actually prevent the wheel chair from getting close. It will either stick straight out making the cage 3 grids wide or block the area under the cage so they can't get as close. You would actually be better off only attaching the front on the edges and the middle. Unclip the middle and fold them back. The cage then opens sideways and folds up making the entire front open without interfering with the height of the stand. The grids don't have to be very sturdy to keep pigs in. They just have to be clipped well enough in the middle that they don't fall back when a pig steps on them. Again if you have fleece with short sides on the coroplast once you swing or fold the front grids back you'd have a flat level area with very little to reach over to see the pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.