Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone!

Smudgy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I am new to the site. I have been looking around for about a month now. Reading tons on posts and made my C&C cage today! It's a 2x4 with only one pig at the moment. I am looking into adopting my little girl a friend. But no shelters have guinea pigs right now.

I have had guinea pigs my whole life (I'm 18 years old) and I'm sad I didn't find this site earlier but I am glad my guinea now will have the best life possible.

My guinea pig's name is Smudgy and she is about 6 months old. And she looks like the guinea pig in the avatar picture.

Welcome Smudgy! I hope you can find a buddy for your girl soon!

Welcome. It's great you are researching now, and have built a nice big cage for Smudgy.

Thank You Piggly Wiggly, Heatherbunnie, and envisionary333

Have you tried checking Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. or craigslist - community classifieds? Those are great places to start. You can also call your local shelters and ask them to notify you when some guinea pigs come in. If you are still having trouble, there are lots of other methods like calling vets, putting an ad in the paper, etc.

Yes, I have checked those places a few times. I have found two guinea pig rescue groups that I might look into more but they both are quite a drive away so I'm just waiting to see if my local shelters have any come in soon.

Hopefully they will get some piggies soon. If not, here is a great list from this site that will give you even more options:

"Check PetFinder
Check the Cavy Classifieds
Check Craigslist
Call your town's animal control department. You can always find out who or where that is by calling your local police station. You never know. Your local shelter may have a ton of guinea pigs that they never advertise. If they SAY they don't take guinea pigs, that means they take them and they put them down right away because they don't think they can get them adopted out or don't have the knowledge, desire or resources to keep them until they can get them adopted out. Tell them you want to adopt one. Get them to put your name on a list to call you next time one or more come in.
A dog, cat, or rabbit rescue may have started rescuing guinea pigs on the side.
Check your local Freecycle
You can also check the classified section of your local paper.
Call ALL your local vet offices. Let them know you are looking. They frequently hear of situations, such as accidental pregnancies and people looking to rehome their pets. Most decent vet offices have a bulletin board where people can post their lost pets or pets needing new homes.
Check other forum's adoption sections.
Put your ad in your local paper saying you are looking to ADOPT some guinea pigs from a non-breeding home.
Kids in school? Ask around about classroom pets. Teachers are always messing up with pets. Many try to rehome. Offer to adopt them and give them a good stable home."

Thank you so much envisionary333 for all the advice! I will definitely look into all those options.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.