Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Switching To Fleece...

TwoOfaKind

Cavy Slave
Well, I think I am going to switch to fleece all together.

Right now I use fleece for the top level in their cage and the bottom level I use a mix of Carefresh® and Kaytee® Soft-Sorbent Bedding. But it is very expensive. I also have a bunny, and for her I use Kaytee Total Comfort or Carefresh (which is usually only about $10.00 or so every two weeks)

I was layed off of my job over a month ago, so I'm struggling a great deal, and am needing to really budget and make some changes, now more then ever.

I had read about using fleece and puppy pee-pads (for the 2nd layer?) - and was unsure how that works. I suppose I could go to like Anna's Linnens or a similar fabric store and get fleece cut to size :?:

What do you all think? Thanks :)

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I don't recommend puppy pads because they usually need to be replaced, and that costs money. It's best to use a material you can wash over and over and reuse so you don't have to keep paying for new materials. I used to spend over $100 to fill my cage with Carefresh! (It's quite big) Since I have switched to fleece things have been much, much better. I've tried towels under the fleece, but now I use mattress pads and I find them to be extremely effective. You can buy them very cheaply from Walmart, thrift stores, and garage sales. Just cut them to size, and use one or two layers under the fleece. They are very absorbent and easy to arrange in the cage. Just make sure to get two sets of everything so you can switch them right away and put one in the wash. Have you read through the "Fleece Project" sticky thread in this forum? You will find tons of great info there. Feel free to post any more questions that come up.

WindeSpirit

Cavy Slave
TwoOfaKind - if you haven't yet figured out your fleece arrangements yet, give me a e-mail, I might be able to work something out with you ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.