Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have questions and need answers!

kwene_2009

Cavy Slave
Hello. I would like to get a little piggy very much. I have lots of questions, though! :?: My dad seems to be very reluctant and I am going to college in two years. But, my biggest problelm is the dogs we have. Does anyone have any ideas on how to dog proof a cavy cage or get large dogs used to a smaller friend? Will a room smell bad if the door to the room is always closed to protect the cavy? I'm not sure, but I will do whatever I can to protect my future piggy pet. Also, has anyone in Northern Indiana found a good place to buy coroplast? Are these cages really that much bigger?!? Anyways, help would be MUCH apreciated. I can't wait to get my guinea pig, but the research is a must! If anyone would offer help, suggestions, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
To dog proof all you need to do is put a lid on the cage and keep the cage up on a table out of reach of the dogs or in a separate room.

Yes, C&C cages are a lot larger than the average petstore cage. I have one of those superpet cages and it's only about 1x2 in area of grids. It's one third the size of what is recommended.

Also it's important to get two as they are very social. If you can't or don't plan on taking them to college with you then I suggest not getting cavies as they have a life span of 5-8 years.

Adoption is the way to go vs. buying them from a petstore. You can read many threads in our kitchen forum about why petstores that sell animals should be avoided.

Also read up on bedding, diet and nutrition, and floortime. Cavies are not cheap animals by any means. Glad you are doing your research ahead of time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.