Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need some help

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
Alright, I need some help.

I am going to make a bigger cage for my pigs. I have 3 males, 2 of which beat the crap out of each other. I have 16 grids which equals a 2x6 grid but I do not believe this will be enough. I know that size is bigger than what GPC suggests, but I am not sure it is going to be enough space if I want to reintroduce the fighting piggies along with the third who will be going through puberty in a couple of months. I want to have enough space as possible so I will have a better chance at having them get along. What is your suggestion? Should I get some more grids?

I do not want to make a second level, I am pretty sure that is out of the question.
Thanks in advance.

CavyLover76

Cavy Slave
how long does everyone hold and love on there piggies a aday???

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
how long does everyone hold and love on there piggies a aday???

This does particularly have anything to do with the cage question so it might be best if you want your question answered to start a new thread about that.

About the cage yes a 2x6 is big enough your right there. Usually people have decks that help so the pigs can escape. But since you don't want to bother with that that isn't an option. You can trying making an L-shape so the have a little section like that to go to so they can't see anyone. That's what I would do if I was in your spot. I would most likely add a deck but your not wanting that so I would go with the L-shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
I am really considering doing an L shape and possibly buying more grids so I can change my options when needed (as well as make separate cages if necessary).

Are lofts really that beneficial? To me, it seems like it would be 'extra' to clean up and deal with but if it really helps the pigs I'm not against it. I would just buy more grids, I don't want to end up with a 2x4 cage with a loft. That feels like it's stealing bottom room from the pigs. I just want a HUGE area for them to mess around in.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
Do you have room to go out? I tried a deck first but then I changed it to 2 areas connected with a bridge. One is for food and the other is for playing and sleeping.

Having it this way made cleaning much more manageable and the pigs have more area to move around. In fact, I love it so much, I'm in the process of rebuilding it to be even larger.

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
I MAY... can I see a picture of your set up?

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Just for some people the decks I believe aren't really that big of deal. It sometimes help if the pig wants to get out of the way of the other he can just go upstairs and not have to bother with anyone. The other set-up might work as well hopefully she will get a picture up for you.

Adorable

Cavy Slave
Here is the cage right now. I’m going to be expanding the eating area to 2 grids wide and the bridge so that’s there is a full 3 feet between both sections. I use snaps to connect the bridge to the larger cage so it separates easily into two pieces for cleaning.

You can’t see it in the picture but there is a clear, flexible plastic material around the hay rack to keep it contained. I just found some solid plastic grids at Target so I’ll use them to build the new eating area.

I use shelving on the sides instead of grids, just because it’s more stable when I take the cage off the table to change the fleece. The second picture is the way I originally had it (minus the ramp) and I like this much better.

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
Interesting. I just got back from Wal-Mart. They didn't have any grids... they usually have a huge sale on them whenever all the college kids come back for school because they all buy them for their dorms. I think I'll just buy a pack after I move from the super Wal-Mart or Target.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.